Adblock using man in the middle

Hi guys I have a pihole configured but it's not blocking most of the ads that ublock can. 

I understand that ublock inspects the elements in the browser and block all the ads while pihole blocks by dns. If man in the middle attacks can see our data, can it also block ads the same way that ublock can?

Ps. If this has been done by someone pls share I'm interested in doing something similar 

7 minutes ago, Maomocake said:

If man in the middle attacks can see our data, can it also block ads the same way that ublock can?

Not quite. Using some MitM - technique would require not only inspecting the data, but also modifying it, which is a lot more involved process. Also, handling e.g. redirects would require a lot more work, whereas Ublock doesn't have to care, since the browser already inspects those and Ublock only has to react to the final results.

This is to say, yes, deep inspection and modification of the data for ad-blocking purposes is possible, but a lot of work.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.