Do I need a Security Gateway?

Demonic Donut

I'm currently upgrading my home network.

I recently purchased a Unifi AC Pro access point for better wifi coverage and throughput. It gets a solid thumbs up from me. Average 10db better signal (except when in the same room, then the signal is basically the same) using WiFi analyzer on my S10+ at all points of my 1/4 acre lot. 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands are usable everywhere, signal in the house is good everywhere. It also easily handles the traffic increase when I have friends/family over, our ISP modem/router tended to get really bogged down when too many devices tried to talk at once.

Due to some recent car prowling in my neighborhood, we bought some Unifi cameras to install and I bought a Unifi Switch 8-60W to power them and take over routing from my ISP modem/router. I'll be getting those installed this weekend.

My main question though, will I get better performance by placing my modem/router in bridge? If I do this, don't I have to have a security gateway? I'm a networking noob, so I'm feel free to over explain.

I only have 40Mb internet, so I'm not sure I'll see any gain in performance from going to bridge mode. But are the QoL/QoS features of a security gateway worth it? I enjoy playing with my tech toys, so while I understand it might not be necessary to get the security gateway would I still have fun with it? Other than site to site VPN and the ability to split up networks on the same system, I don't see a lot of explanation as to what the gateway can do.

Thanks for any input and opinions.

30 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

My main question though, will I get better performance by placing my modem/router in bridge? If I do this, don't I have to have a security gateway? I'm a networking noob, so I'm feel free to over explain.

Yes, if your ISP device is a combo unit (modem, router, wireless AP, etc. all-in-one) and you configure it to be in bridged mode, you will need a dedicated router to which all your other network equipment must connect. Bridged mode basically disables the routing features.

If by "security gateway" you mean a Ubiquiti USG, then it's up to your needs and preference. You don't absolutely need a USG, but it does enable you to use a few extra features of the UniFi Controller, which many people with standard home setups don't really need. It will allow you to run bandwidth testing and have more monitors for your network within the UniFi Controller.

Should you want to get a dedicated router (you'll need to put your ISP device in bridge mode or at least disable the relevant features), you can get the USG or you can get an affordable EdgeRouter (ER-X, ER-X-SFP). This tiny little device is very powerful and feature-rich. It does not integrate with the UniFi Controller; it uses Ubiquiti's other system - UNMS. But you'll still be able to control your UAP and USW devices through the UniFi Controller as before.