Best High Capacity SSD Upgrade

Carl DaBeast
Go to solution Solved by elon,

I believe you've done alot of research beforehand. You prob know more than me. Heres what I though.
yeaa, isnt worth going for a cashless ssd. Their really bad at random read write. Quality ssds now goes for cheap on the market. For example the crucial mx500, which is a TLC ssd.

QLC ssd are common on m.2 2230 ssds, or super high compacity ssds like the one linus just reviewed.

QLC ssd are slow while write, fast while read. Prob good for game library.

TLC, most ssd has it. fast read, fast write. though goes for a bit more if its a m.2 drive.

I'm planning to upgrade my storage as I am slowly running out of space. I currently have a 128 GB SSD and a 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD (I can explain).

I'm using the SilverStone ML-08 case so I only have space for two 2.5" drives. The SSD I've had since I first built my computer in a tower case and the HDD was the best I could find due to some limitations.

The reason I have the case is because I move it fairly often, so having a HDD might not be the best idea. I've already had a scare because the SATA cable disconnected and briefly thought the drive had broken. It might not be necessary but I wan to replace the HDD with an SSD as it doesn't face the same risks when moving.

I'm most likely going to upgrade both drives to two 2TB SSD's and when looking at whats available in my area there's a lot more to it than I thought.

My main question is if it is worth going for a cache less SSD to replace the HDD or if it would be better to get a QLC SSD to replace the HDD and a TLC to replace the SSD (to not lose much performance).

Whats the performance difference between the three types?

Here are the options I have:

inet.se

webhallen.com

I believe you've done alot of research beforehand. You prob know more than me. Heres what I though.
yeaa, isnt worth going for a cashless ssd. Their really bad at random read write. Quality ssds now goes for cheap on the market. For example the crucial mx500, which is a TLC ssd.

QLC ssd are common on m.2 2230 ssds, or super high compacity ssds like the one linus just reviewed.

TLC, most ssd has it. fast read, fast write. though goes for a bit more if its a m.2 drive.

Main Rig

CPU: i7 3770K@4.7GHz

GPU: R9 290x 4G

HDD: 12TB Seagate 12TB BarraCuda

SSD: Crucial xm500

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 XPG 1600 x4

Monitor: Dell U2518D

Server

CPU: duo Xeon X5670 stock clock

Motherboard: unknown dell server motherbored

RAM: 64GB of unknown ECC 1600MHz ram

GPU: Nvidia Quadro P4000

HDD: x8 Dell 2.5inch SAS drive in raid, potenal speed of 800MB/s speed

SSD: NON

Case: Dell unknow server case

PSU: duo 700w server powersupply

Works laptop:

Model: Microsoft surface laptop 3

CPU: i5 1065g7

RAM: 8gb lpddr4x

Dongle: satechi aluminum mutiport adapter v2

SSD: 256gb stock

Comment: best laptop on my lap

I suck at writing this.

3 hours ago, Meganter said:

Hello,

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/281341-Crucial-MX500-2TB-SATA-2-5-7mm-CT2000MX500SSD1 very good and well priced compared to the others.

You could also look at M.2 SSD or NVMe if you have an M.2 connector that is.

Thank you, I've heard good things about that SSD before and it was one of the top considerations.

I actually already have 2 M.2 SSDs in my system, 1TB and 256GB. I guess they'll be the next components to upgrade.

3 hours ago, elon said:

Thank you for the brief explanation. I forgot that LTT made a video about that recently. I will most likely go for a TLC SSD, the MX500, for better read and write performance. 

Highly doubt I will ever reach the max write capacity.