Should I wait for the new gpus or should I buy a rtx 2060?

Mih27
Go to solution Solved by Turbof1,

Definitely wait. Cyberpunk isn't coming out for a while and GPU prices are on the high end right now, even on the used market. Once new cards get released the market will be flooded with the 2060's, so you can take advantage of price drops then.

So guys I have a problem, right now I have a gtx 960 that's 5 years old and I want to upgrade it to play modern games like cyberpunk 2077. I can buy a second hand rtx 2060 for 280$ but I don't know if I should wait for the new nvidia graphic cards?

My pc: -Ryzen 7 2700x cpu

-Aorous B450 Pro motherboard

-16gb Hyperx Fury black 2666mhz ram

-Thermaltake 650W PSU

-Samsung 256gb SSD

-1TB Hard disk(forgot the brand)

Definitely wait. Cyberpunk isn't coming out for a while and GPU prices are on the high end right now, even on the used market. Once new cards get released the market will be flooded with the 2060's, so you can take advantage of price drops then.

I'd say it depends on the extra cash you want to spend! I'm sure you'll get more performance with the 3060 (if you decide to stay in the same tier), but it'll cost more.

Generally speaking, the RTX 3xxx series cards will be more powerful, but I'd still wait to see some benchmarks (2060 vs 3060 for example).

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Mih27 said:

So guys I have a problem, right now I have a gtx 960 that's 5 years old and I want to upgrade it to play modern games like cyberpunk 2077. I can buy a second hand rtx 2060 for 280$ but I don't know if I should wait for the new nvidia graphic cards?

My pc: -Ryzen 7 2700x cpu

-Aorous B450 Pro motherboard

-16gb Hyperx Fury black 2666mhz ram

-Thermaltake 650W PSU

-Samsung 256gb SSD

-1TB Hard disk(forgot the brand)

If your current rig is giving you a playable experience, I would wait. Cyberpunk isnt going to be out till at least November, and by then the new GPUs should hopefully have launched. Even if they're all high end options, it may cause some price changes, or you may realise you want to save up for something else. 

If you can't wait, $280 for a 2060  seems like a decent deal.

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I will definitely wait for the new ones to come out.

From a GTX 960 (I assume the 4GB version) to a RTX 2060 or higher, that's like tripple the performance? Oh you are going to enjoy that 😄

1 minute ago, Turbof1 said:

Oh you are going to enjoy that 😄

Yea and waiting would be more beneficial 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Turbof1 said:

From a GTX 960 (I assume the 4GB version) to a RTX 2060 or higher, that's like tripple the performance? Oh you are going to enjoy that 😄

Yeah, I'm surprised that it can still run modern games(kinda). I usually have to turn the video settings to almost to the lowest. Btw the gtx 960 is 2gb :(

If you can, wait.

But waiting gonna take a long time, especially if you're budget in the mid end.

Usually they release the flagship first, the 3080 first, the mid tier will come 2-3 months later.

THey usually announce this at a conference like gamescom (august) or computex (september).

Now that's just the announcement, the get the third party manufacturer actually release their cards could take another month or two.

If you're expecting to buy a 3060, probably in feb or march next year, optimistically.

But it can change due to AMD plan to release RX6700, their next generations (with ray tracing).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Mih27 said:

Yeah, I'm surprised that it can still run modern games(kinda). I usually have to turn the video settings to almost to the lowest. Btw the gtx 960 is 2gb :(

yes it can run modern game, that card is like a 1050, if you're into 30fps gaming.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Mih27 said:

Just hang in there, prices will drop and you'll get more bang for buck. I had the GTX 960 (4GB) myself until end of last year. That card indeed still was able to run games like AC Odyssey, but as you said on very low settings. I think you squeezed the right amount of life out of the card.

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you can, wait.

But waiting gonna take a long time, especially if you're budget in the mid end.

Usually they release the flagship first, the 3080 first, the mid tier will come 2-3 months later.

THey usually announce this at a conference like gamescom (august) or computex (september).

Now that's just the announcement, the get the third party manufacturer actually release their cards could take another month or two.

If you're expecting to buy a 3060, probably in feb or march next year, optimistically.

But it can change due to AMD plan to release RX6700, their next generations (with ray tracing).

There might still be people inclined to switch from a 2060 (super) to a 3080, which can increase amount of used 2060's on the used market and drop the price. There's like 2-4 months inbetween the xx80 and xx60, but the time table can shorten due pressure from amd.

2 minutes ago, Turbof1 said:

There might still be people inclined to switch from a 2060 (super) to a 3080, which can increase amount of used 2060's on the used market and drop the price. There's like 2-4 months inbetween the xx80 and xx60, but the time table can shorten due pressure from amd.

That maybe a possibility, but i don't think a 2060 users will spend another $300 right away.