Weird problem and ISP can't identify

bibo145

I've been struggling with my Internet for like 3-4 months. Whenever I want to play a game, watch streams, use discord, my internet "disconnects", the internet doesn't actually dc, but the service stops working, speed tests are fine, ping in games are fine. I will describe some examples below:

-I was playing WoW and whenever I went to Orgrimmar (big cities) the game would disconnect, if I tried on a character which was in a low population place, it would work properly.

-On discord, my friends can only hear me speaking but i can't hear them, or the other way around, if I leave the channel and come back, it start working again for like 10 seconds.

-Watching Twitch livestreams, and analyzing the task manager, sometimes, my down/up stream suddenly go to 0 (image below). Sometimes the livestream come back automatically others time I need to refresh the page. 

586659951_internetdesktop.png.a0d2fb10407aca0f52300d485346acae.png

It happens always, sometimes it takes 5 minutes to start happening these issues, other times can take hours.

I use it on cable, I have a fresh Windows 10 install, tried on another notebook, on cable and WiFi, tried with a switch, a USB x RJ45 adapter, tried with another cable, changed speed and duplex configs on Ethernet adapter, changed WiFi password to avoid any possible phone malwares, none of that worked. The ISP guy that came to my house said the fiber signals are fine too. I've been using USB-anchor with my phone 4G for the last 2-3 days and I haven't dced once.

I don't have access to any of my router configuration (can only change WiFi password), as it's locked by the ISP (I also can only use 1 out of the 4 ports in the back of the router), and they don't want to replace my router because they said they can't find any disconnects/down time or whatever... Any idea if there is anything else I can do or it's probably a router issue? Also, is there any software I can keep tracking my internet and check what happens when the down/up streams go to 0, like the picture above?

Have you checked windows event viewer when that happens? (check Event Viewer > System tab for anything network related)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Considering you mention it happening on other computers, wired or wireless, that you're are plugged directly into the modem/router combo via Ethernet and it is still happening... Meaning even if you were to get an external router, it would still happen.

Likely something to do with the modem itself for some reason and they can't find out what is causing it.

I would honestly demand they send you a new one, just to test it out and if it still fails or they outright refuse to help you, you can threaten to switch ISP. Because if it's happening network wide in your home, the issue isn't you. It's them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, Levent said:

Have you checked windows event viewer when that happens? (check Event Viewer > System tab for anything network related)

Didn't know about this tool, I'm checking it right now to see if I can find anything. Any tip on where to look at?

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Considering you mention it happening on other computers, wired or wireless, that you're are plugged directly into the modem/router combo via Ethernet and it is still happening... Meaning even if you were to get an external router, it would still happen.

Likely something to do with the modem itself for some reason and they can't find out what is causing it.

I would honestly demand they send you a new one, just to test it out and if it still fails or they outright refuse to help you, you can threaten to switch ISP. Because if it's happening network wide in your home, the issue isn't you. It's them.

I also think it's a router/modem problem... But they refuse to replace it because they "can't find any issue in my network". I already opened a rant against them in a website. Unfortunately I don't have others ISP options...

Also, forgot to mention, sometimes, when I notice a game "starts" to disconnect or a stream stop loading, if I quickly open some random webpages, SOMETIMES, it won't dc at all, and starts functioning normally back again... it's so weird

1 hour ago, bibo145 said:

I've been struggling with my Internet for like 3-4 months. Whenever I want to play a game, watch streams, use discord, my internet "disconnects", the internet doesn't actually dc, but the service stops working, speed tests are fine, ping in games are fine. I will describe some examples below:

-I was playing WoW and whenever I went to Orgrimmar (big cities) the game would disconnect, if I tried on a character which was in a low population place, it would work properly.

-On discord, my friends can only hear me speaking but i can't hear them, or the other way around, if I leave the channel and come back, it start working again for like 10 seconds.

-Watching Twitch livestreams, and analyzing the task manager, sometimes, my down/up stream suddenly go to 0 (image below). Sometimes the livestream come back automatically others time I need to refresh the page. 

586659951_internetdesktop.png.a0d2fb10407aca0f52300d485346acae.png

It happens always, sometimes it takes 5 minutes to start happening these issues, other times can take hours.

I use it on cable, I have a fresh Windows 10 install, tried on another notebook, on cable and WiFi, tried with a switch, a USB x RJ45 adapter, tried with another cable, changed speed and duplex configs on Ethernet adapter, changed WiFi password to avoid any possible phone malwares, none of that worked. The ISP guy that came to my house said the fiber signals are fine too. I've been using USB-anchor with my phone 4G for the last 2-3 days and I haven't dced once.

I don't have access to any of my router configuration (can only change WiFi password), as it's locked by the ISP (I also can only use 1 out of the 4 ports in the back of the router), and they don't want to replace my router because they said they can't find any disconnects/down time or whatever... Any idea if there is anything else I can do or it's probably a router issue? Also, is there any software I can keep tracking my internet and check what happens when the down/up streams go to 0, like the picture above?

you need to check into the router and modem your using if it has the puma intel chipset they have problems and mine does some of the same stuff and atlantic broad band has said that to me in the past they dont see nothing wrong heres a link to start looking into this https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/#:~:text=Intel%20Puma%206%20Defect%20Explained&text=Intel's%20Puma%206%20chipset%20included,or%20simply%20surfing%20the%20web.

48 minutes ago, keysbeast13 said:

you need to check into the router and modem your using if it has the puma intel chipset they have problems and mine does some of the same stuff and atlantic broad band has said that to me in the past they dont see nothing wrong heres a link to start looking into this https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/#:~:text=Intel%20Puma%206%20Defect%20Explained&text=Intel's%20Puma%206%20chipset%20included,or%20simply%20surfing%20the%20web.

Mine is a Zhone 2424. I will take a look into that, at least it's not in the link's list.

Taking a look at Windows Events, I found this, lots of DHCP errors, not exactly when the internet dcs, but there are lots of them, I tried to change to 8.8.8.8 a while back, then my ISP give me one of their own to use, none worked, and atm I'm using windows DHCP. Can this be the issue I'm having?

image.png.a5d1774a3fb2d6ecdc2ef100f7a439ba.png 

Just run a continuous ping test to your router and capture the screenshot for your ISP.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.