Having a stereo amp output a mono signal

German_John
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, German_John said:

Sorry, I should have made it a bit more clear. I saw that article, too.

My question was whether the way I think it works would actually work, i.e. taking the inputs on the board, soldering the resistors to each, then soldering those together and to one of the outputs.

Pretty much. That's pretty much how the instructables does it too. It's an analog signal those can be combined this way. You may have some quality loss sure but if that's your concern just get one of the dozens of cheap boards out there that do some processing to avoid any issues.

Hey everyone,

I recently got a pretty decent 8 Ohm speaker for virtually free. My goal is to turn it into a cool little bluetooth/aux speaker thing I can take with me.

I also have a PAM8403 amp board with a 3.5mm input.

Now, connecting just one output isn't a great solution. I'd miss one entire channel, which sucks for music.

What would be the best way to get around that? Could I just solder a 100 Ohm resistor to the left and right inputs on the board, connect them together, and then connect those to one of the outputs?

I'm not very well versed around this (actually, not at all, basically). So any help would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Instructables to the rescue:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Way-to-Convert-Stereo-to-Mono/

Or just buy a small board that does this on amazon.

My question was whether the way I think it works would actually work, i.e. taking the inputs on the board, soldering the resistors to each, then soldering those together and to one of the outputs.

Just now, German_John said:

Pretty much. That's pretty much how the instructables does it too. It's an analog signal those can be combined this way. You may have some quality loss sure but if that's your concern just get one of the dozens of cheap boards out there that do some processing to avoid any issues.

Just now, jaslion said:

Thanks! I'll buy a backup board just to be safe - they're so cheap I can easily fry a few.