I want to try Pop OS need some advice

magicammo

Hello all I've decided I want to try out Linux and I want to install it on a flash drive  but I had a couple questions.

1. If I install it on my USB do I or should I unplug my hardrives?

2. I know it wouldnt be ideal but could I use the bootable drive for storage as well if I get a large enough USB? I just want to download a few small things but didnt want to have to get a separate drive to save to and so I can also just have it on my keychain haha.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

1. You don't have to but if you're worried you might overwrite any data you have on them you can.
  2. You can install PopOS to a USB but I personally wouldn't recommend it for any long term application. USB isn't as fast as SATA and (well the latest standard goes up to 10Gbit - If all the machines you'd like to use support it) there's the matter that the NAND flash in SATA devices is of much higher quality than thumb drives. You can expect a much higher MTBF rate using a SSD.

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:
  1. You don't have to but if you're worried you might overwrite any data you have on them you can.
  2. You can install PopOS to a USB but I personally wouldn't recommend it for any long term application. USB isn't as fast as SATA and (well the latest standard goes up to 10Gbit - If all the machines you'd like to use support it) there's the matter that the NAND flash in SATA devices is of much higher quality than thumb drives. You can expect a much higher MTBF rate using a SSD.

Yea I know sata would be the better route but to just have an OS on my keychain that also doubles as a storage device for small applications. nothing crazy I can just pop the drive  into any pc and use no pun intended haha. I could get the sabrent rocket nano drive 

7 minutes ago, magicammo said:

Yea I know sata would be the better route but to just have an OS on my keychain that also doubles as a storage device for small applications. nothing crazy I can just pop the drive  into any pc and use no pun intended haha. I could get the sabrent rocket nano drive 

So long as it's being used in a easily replaceable manor, like it's not your daily driver keeping all your important data on it. Write operations will wear it down and you'll start to run into errors.

There is convenience in having a USB bootable Linux distro. It's pretty standard in the enterprise but they set it up in such a way that the loss of the flash drive doesn't compromise the data being held on the server.

39 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So long as it's being used in a easily replaceable manor, like it's not your daily driver keeping all your important data on it. Write operations will wear it down and you'll start to run into errors.

There is convenience in having a USB bootable Linux distro. It's pretty standard in the enterprise but they set it up in such a way that the loss of the flash drive doesn't compromise the data being held on the server.

Sweet yea no important files will be stored on it