Home Entertainment Computer

SarahJCA

I dont know if this is the right category but I have two questions....

First, I am considering going digital with my movies and dont know if this is a good idea, how to go about getting digital versions of ones that are before digital copies were an option, etc...  I am concerned about spending alot to get digital copies and then, if I use an app/site to get them, losing access to them after spending all the money because the company goes out of business or something.

I have tons of DVDs so importing to a computer is a possibility but is that the best option because of the space requirements?

Part two is that this consideration has led me toward getting an entertainment computer to watch the movies, do Netflix, even my cable, and of course games for my son.

So based on which option, or a mix of them, is best, for the movies will determine what makes up an entertainment computer.

Any input is appreciated on either issue.

Sarah in CA

i think the best option for you is to rip your DvDs (if it's legal where you live. It isn't in the UK) and store them on a dedicated plex server. This could potentially just be an old computer you have lying around or a dedicated one that you built.  Plex is accessible on all your devices in your home and is free and easy to understand. 

Plex is great because you will run the server and therefore there is no worry about the company going bust on bankrupt.  If you want, you could also use a virtual machine, so your server runs on the same computer as your entertainment computer.

(no, they don't pay me)

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

I am in California.  So have a movie server and an entertainment computer that can access the movie server?

What size do movies turn out to be when ripped?  (my son insists that "rip" is the wrong term but I counter-insist that thats the one that has been used for decades so I use it, thanks for inadvertently backing me up! ha)

9 hours ago, Mad153 said:

Plex is accessible on all your devices in your home and is free

*Not on mobile, you need the premium for that.

4 hours ago, SarahJCA said:

I am in California.  So have a movie server and an entertainment computer that can access the movie server?

What size do movies turn out to be when ripped?  (my son insists that "rip" is the wrong term but I counter-insist that thats the one that has been used for decades so I use it, thanks for inadvertently backing me up! ha)

It depends on the bitrate. You want higher bitrates for higher resolution. If you have DVD's they're generally 480p. You can get them down to about 1.5-2gb. If I remember correctly DVDs only hold ~4gb anyways.

If you have Blu-Rays, you will need a Blu-Ray drive and they can be 4-6gb, 4k movies can be ~16gb.

And I've never heard of any term other that ripping for it, so I'd stick with ripping.

As to the media server, it can be basically any PC in your house on the network. If you have one dedicated to the TV, you can do it there too. It's accessible from any other device with the app (PC's, TV's, Game consoles, etc.) on the local network or anywhere over the internet.

The big advantage for Plex is you can use it locally without any data, and you don't have to worry about Vudu or whatever shutting down or removing content.

#Muricaparrotgang