Inconsistent Speeds

Optane^

Hi all, I am losing my mind over this. 

I am paying cox for their "gigablast" package. 1k Down, 35 up. Since I received it, on 3 different hardwired devices, my max speed is is about 250mbps on the speedtest.net website. If i use the speedtest.net google chrome extension, it gives me 900+. On my iPhone 11, over 5G wifi, I'm getting 350+ (Both speeds are the same in task manager too.)

Multiple other websites give me way different speeds. I understand different servers but, it should not be THIS different. I am dumbfounded. Using cat5e, cat6, doesn't matter. I have had cox out to my place and they are saying the modem is receiving the correct speeds (even with a 2 new cox modems or my CM1000). When I go to download something, my max on origin is 10Mb/s. Steam is around 30. 

I seriously don't understand.

296670940_Speedtest.thumb.PNG.aeb8151bd806a2a1470f3b08abb14ce4.PNGimage.thumb.png.ab84467ee63e43a6c68a1a6eedef5992.png

990.PNG.321d85d3d600e2d6cabf11ea4823fcd5.PNGimage.png.4715e45edf10b900537346feb9c4b22d.pngimage.png.e39f2bf9e4e77c5f5938a37a3232d7f7.png

image.png

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

So what's actually the issue? The extension has shown that you are getting the speed you are paying for.

2 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

So what's actually the issue? The extension has shown that you are getting the speed you are paying for.

The problem is the inconsistency and any downloads not giving me the speed the extension is saying.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

The problem is the inconsistency and any downloads not giving me the speed the extension is saying.

There's so many variables as to why that could be, the extension has shown that the speed is technically possible and you are able to attain what you pay for. For example Steam is compressed and the files are decompressed on the fly, is your CPU or your HDD bottlenecking it? Is the Steam server you are downloading from at capacity (have you tried others)?

5 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Its most likely traffic shaping because of lockdown.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Its most likely traffic shaping because of lockdown.

Highly doubt that as millions pay for gigabit and get it everyday

3 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

There's so many variables as to why that could be, the extension has shown that the speed is technically possible and you are able to attain what you pay for. For example Steam is compressed and the files are decompressed on the fly, is your CPU or your HDD bottlenecking it? Is the Steam server you are downloading from at capacity (have you tried others)?

As stated in the op, I know there are variables but they're way off. 9700K & an SSD so no bottleneck. I've tried steam (30ish) battle.net (20ish) and origin is the worst at around 12.

I don't understand the inconsistency between speedtest.net and the extension as they're the exact same server, makes 0 sense. Cox's own website is maxed out at about 250 ( ran by ookla so not surprising )

-

2 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

Highly doubt that as millions pay for gigabit and get it everyday

Fun fact, it doesn't matter what speed you get if the server you're downloading from cannot match it (or is being throttled to save bandwidth).

Your modem is reporting your speed correctly, your getting what you pay for. Almost all the major CDNs are shaping right now, Twitch & YouTube no longer default to the highest quality available. It makes sense when you consider how much extra traffic lockdown will be causing the large digital distributors.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Fun fact, it doesn't matter what speed you get if the server you're downloading from cannot match it (or is being throttled to save bandwidth).

Your modem is reporting your speed correctly, your getting what you pay for. Almost all the major CDNs are shaping right now, Twitch & YouTube no longer default to the highest quality available. It makes sense when you consider how much extra traffic lockdown will be causing the large digital distributors.

But again, why does the Speed test extension give me 900+ but the website gives me 250 on the same server. There is a discrepancy. 

-

But again, why does the Speed test extension give me 900+ but the website gives me 250 on the same server. There is a discrepancy. 

I understand we're in a pandemic but my wifi is faster than ethernet? I really don't think we're being throttled that hard. Theres no doubt I can reach the speeds i pay for. But my downloads of games are very weird. Specially at 5AM where it's not peak hours or something like that.

Maybe i'm just losing my mind but something doesn't sound right. Why would 5 different websites give that big of a discrepancy?

Run your internet on speedtest, fast.com & the google fiber, I bet your speeds will be roughly close. Not hundreds off.

-

I understand we're in a pandemic but my wifi is faster than ethernet? I really don't think we're being throttled that hard. Theres no doubt I can reach the speeds i pay for. But my downloads of games are very weird. Specially at 5AM where it's not peak hours or something like that.

Maybe i'm just losing my mind but something doesn't sound right. Why would 5 different websites give that big of a discrepancy?

Run your internet on speedtest, fast.com & the google fiber, I bet your speeds will be roughly close. Not hundreds off.

There you go ran back to back.

image.png.f6d42950e48267f567d7378e7bc3c5b7.png

image.thumb.png.48823b962e270f38380fef3513b66c42.png

image.png.e2ccd38093c176ec5e91a22e09ebe898.png

image.png.72ad08c121c3c9bb793bb8a68b2f15cf.png

I just did an update for Apex on Origin and pulled 30MB/s. I was getting closer to 250~Mbps consistently a week or so back but I fiddle with my settings in my router by disabling most monitoring/QoS stuff and that seemed to help my speeds a bit.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

I just did an update for Apex on Origin and pulled 30MB/s. I was getting closer to 250~Mbps consistently a week or so back but I fiddle with my settings in my router by disabling most monitoring/QoS stuff and that seemed to help my speeds a bit.

Your speedtest.net is using Perth, while google fiber used Sydney. thoes are like 4k km from each other.

I still don't understand why THE SAME SERVER would give such different results on the website vs extension.

Maybe the extension is a better connection. Trying to download star wars and only getting 12. Internet is frustrating. 

-

Your speedtest.net is using Perth, while google fiber used Sydney. thoes are like 4k km from each other.

I still don't understand why THE SAME SERVER would give such different results on the website vs extension.

Maybe the extension is a better connection. Trying to download star wars and only getting 12. Internet is frustrating. 

image.png.140a3b8ef0557d4aaf7dcf5fb60368d8.png

-

30 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

image.png.140a3b8ef0557d4aaf7dcf5fb60368d8.png

Are you installing to an SSD? What are you CPU/HDD usage showing as in task manager?

@Optane^

Are these speed tests being performed while directly wired into the ISP device over gigabit ethernet (Cat5e or better)? Or is this through a router/WiFi? Are you sure no other gadget is accessing the internet while performing theses tests? Please list all of the network hardware you're using (make/model).

Different speed test websites might give you different results depending on how far they are from you and how busy the nodes are between you and the speed test servers. This is not under your control. Your connection might be faster than some segments you are connecting through. And never use task manager as a means of measuring your connection speed; its readings are delayed and what is being reported to you is at intervals in time.

SpeedTest.net's browser extension or even the standalone app might yield better results because they claim to eliminate bandwidth overhead from the browser itself, but I don't see why the results should that significantly different.

Finally, programs like Steam (and I'm sure other similar game managers) report download speed in MBps, not Mbps. Let's agree to use Mbps since that's what speed test websites report in.

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Looks like lots of people are finding speed issues with Cox atm https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/25540/gigablast-internet

I see the name Cox come up quite often even on this website. I guess they just suck.🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Must have overloaded their nodes. 

Their nodes ain't worth the salt of the earth then, because I see their name pop up a little too much. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Their nodes ain't worth the salt of the earth then, because I see their name pop up a little too much. 

Every ISP over subscribes. Some just do it let shitty. It could be worse. You could be on a 3 Mbps aDSL connection. 

My suggestion is to downgrade your service to what they can provide. I mean do you actually need 1Gbps? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:01 AM, schwellmo92 said:

Are you installing to an SSD? What are you CPU/HDD usage showing as in task manager?

Yes, SSD. No clue of the speed because I downloaded it everynight. 

-

On 6/20/2020 at 6:16 AM, Falcon1986 said:

@Optane^

Are these speed tests being performed while directly wired into the ISP device over gigabit ethernet (Cat5e or better)? Or is this through a router/WiFi? Are you sure no other gadget is accessing the internet while performing theses tests? Please list all of the network hardware you're using (make/model).

Different speed test websites might give you different results depending on how far they are from you and how busy the nodes are between you and the speed test servers. This is not under your control. Your connection might be faster than some segments you are connecting through. And never use task manager as a means of measuring your connection speed; its readings are delayed and what is being reported to you is at intervals in time.

SpeedTest.net's browser extension or even the standalone app might yield better results because they claim to eliminate bandwidth overhead from the browser itself, but I don't see why the results should that significantly different.

Finally, programs like Steam (and I'm sure other similar game managers) report download speed in MBps, not Mbps. Let's agree to use Mbps since that's what speed test websites report in.

I was using cox's modem router combo and I tried my own CM1000. Used Cat5e and Cat6. I still should get speeds over 5-600 with someone else using it but yes, i have tested with out anyone using it. 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:07 AM, schwellmo92 said:

Looks like lots of people are finding speed issues with Cox atm https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/25540/gigablast-internet

Thanks. 

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Every ISP over subscribes. Some just do it let shitty. It could be worse. You could be on a 3 Mbps aDSL connection. 

My suggestion is to downgrade your service to what they can provide. I mean do you actually need 1Gbps? 

They provide the full speed according to them. Does anyone actually NEED 1G? Lol, bad argument.

-

23 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

G? Lol, bad argument

Not really. In my house we have 3 adults that are heavy  streamers, up to 3 HD Steams from Netflix, Hulu, etc. 200 Mbps is more than enough and very much cheaper than Comcast's Gigabit. Funny enough though, Comcast would be able to deliver Gigabit speeds unlike your ISP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Not really. In my house we have 3 adults that are heavy  streamers, up to 3 HD Steams from Netflix, Hulu, etc. 200 Mbps is more than enough and very much cheaper than Comcast's Gigabit. Funny enough though, Comcast would be able to deliver Gigabit speeds unlike your ISP. 

1G is nice and they;re giving me it for a very good price. Cox can deliver it. They have before in my old house. It's not like they can't lol. There's many variables here and I understand that. Just the inconsistency on my own computer has me confused. 

-