Are the new AMD boards worth it?

Recently AMD dropped the B550 boards, they've been selling like hotcakes and are pretty pricey compared to their predecessors.

Zen 3 will be the last CPU to support DDR4 before AMD makes the jump to DDR5, so are the new boards really worth the extra hassle and money if the predecssors will also support Zen 3?

Are the boards worth it? Yes

Will ryzen 5000 support ddr4 or ddr5? Apparently ddr4 still from the language that they use.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

I mean, it's a higher tier board with much better firmware, VRMs, more I/O and PCIe 4.0. imo the price increase is not surprising considering the B550 boards are more like X470 than B450 successors

Just now, Jumballi said:

Are the boards worth it? Yes

Will ryzen 5000 support ddr4 or ddr5? Apparently ddr4 still from the language that they use.

Are the boards worth the hassle and insane markup?

Got a source on the DDR4 support?

x570 has been out since the launch of Ryzen 3000.

Really unless you need PCIE Gen 4 for nvme for a specific use case, just go with a x470 or b450 board. Just make sure its Ryzen 3000 Ready or know someone with a older Ryzen chip to update the bios.

10 minutes ago, Eong said:

before AMD makes the jump to DDR5, so are the new boards really worth the extra hassle and money if the predecssors will also support Zen 3?

DDR5 will be widely available to consumers in like 3-4ish years 

Don't worry about that , 

10 minutes ago, Eong said:

Recently AMD dropped the B550 and X570 boards, they've been selling like hotcakes and are pretty pricey compared to their predecessors.

Depends 

Will you be powering a 16 core or something ? 

If yes go for a board with beefier vrm solution which is usually absent on b450 boards 

Not powering a power hungry chip ? Go for something cheaper 

B450 does the job for the most part 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I mean, it's a higher tier board with much better firmware, VRMs, more I/O and PCIe 4.0. imo the price increase is not surprising considering the B550 boards are more like X470 than B450 successors

Maybe its where I am, but the boards are selling way above the expected price and often are out of stock.

1 minute ago, Eong said:

Maybe its where I am, but the boards are selling way above the expected price and often are out of stock.

Because it's a higher tier higher quality product with more support and options. It's like wondering why a 1660 coats more than a 1650

7 minutes ago, Eong said:

Are the boards worth the hassle and insane markup?

Got a source on the DDR4 support?

The new boards are intended to provide much better power delivery for these powerful new CPU. If you plan to go high spec, these boards remove hassle. Mark up is also not insane considering what the improvements it gives. It’s an extremely good value for those willing to spend an extra dollar.

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-cpu-apu-roadmap-2022-leak-ddr5-usb4

Not until 2022 according to ‘alleged’ leaked roadmap

https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-sapphire-rapids-xeon-scalable-family-amd-epyc-genoa-5nm-2021-launch/
Not really AMD, but server market adopts these standards faster, so with them starting 2021 to release, not even have it in servers yet, we won’t expect to see it on consumer platforms for a good while.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Because it's a higher tier higher quality product with more support and options. It's like wondering why a 1660 coats more than a 1650

While I 100% agree with that, I'd say sellers have been marking up the price a bit too much where I am.