Asus GTX 1080 strix Temp

Marijanusic

Ok so here goes idk if this is the problem or not but i want to know so...
i bought the used asus strix gtx 1080 which was used in mining ofc and while i was gaming the gpu had probably reached its thermal limit since after about 30 minutes of game time the temp reached 82-83C and the clock speed lowered to about 1700ish mhz
i decided that i had to do something about it even though the card was still under warranty so i changed the thermal paste on it ( since availability in my country was limited and i did not want to wait a long time for something special i went with some generic thermal paste named Halnziye HY 420)
after doing all that the temperature of the gpu now sits on 66-67C and the clocks stay about the top which is 1936mhz 
My consern is that other then the fact that i achived that much temp loss witch  is awesome i think is that i dont get any other benefit besides the lower temp with higher clock speed with little to no difference in performance  but i dont know much about how the GPU works so if someone could explain in more detail what is going on here :D 
Thanks

Are you referring to gpu boost? The cards core running faster based on the temps of which it runs at. It has its limits but it quite known on the 10 series. Card would go over 2000mhz if it was ran cooler given how their boards are and the die is average.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

to tell you the truth i dont really know anything about the mechanics of how the gpu works my only concern is if the curent temp and almost no gain in performance but temp drop by lower of 10C did not net me anything besides the lower temp and thus maybe longer life of a card it self 
but then again maybe thats what i really did need after all i guess i was hoping i would get more performance if i lowered the tempererature i was hoping that by lowering the temp the gpu would push more fps  

3 minutes ago, Marijanusic said:

to tell you the truth i dont really know anything about the mechanics of how the gpu works my only concern is if the curent temp and almost no gain in performance but temp drop by lower of 10C did not net me anything besides the lower temp and thus maybe longer life of a card it self 
but then again maybe thats what i really did need after all i guess i was hoping i would get more performance if i lowered the tempererature i was hoping that by lowering the temp the gpu would push more fps  

It did get more frames. Going from 1700 to 1900 can get you a couple frames. That's how that works. In real world scenarios that's all you should expect. Which is why getting a better card is always worth more frames. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

yes thats what i thought 
so now that the card runs at the max mhz and staying decently cold if a big improvement and now all thats left for me is to wait for next line up of Gpu-s and upgrade if i want more performance :D 
Thanks