Zephyrus Duo 15 RTX 2080S GPU Question

Hi guys,

Got a question about the Zephyrus Duo 15's GPU (not sure if it's an intelligent question). I've been trying to figure out if the 2080 Super has a possibility of being a modified desktop version, or if it'll just be the Mobile version of the 2080S? I asked ASUS Support if it was the Mobile or a Desktop GPU and they stated "From the graphics section, the device will come with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER". I'm lead to thinking it's the Desktop version then, but I'm not too knowledgeable on if Desktop RTX GPUs have been ported to laptops or not. If it's a Desktop GPU I'd be straight up buying it to replace my desktop PC (for convenience), but if it's mobile then I might have to think about it. Would anyone happen to have any educated guesses, insights or answers on what it'll be?

Thanks heaps

5 minutes ago, Dirtjelly said:

Hi guys,

Got a question about the Zephyrus Duo 15's GPU (not sure if it's an intelligent question). I've been trying to figure out if the 2080 Super has a possibility of being a modified desktop version, or if it'll just be the Mobile version of the 2080S? I asked ASUS Support if it was the Mobile or a Desktop GPU and they stated "From the graphics section, the device will come with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER". I'm lead to thinking it's the Desktop version then, but I'm not too knowledgeable on if Desktop RTX GPUs have been ported to laptops or not. If it's a Desktop GPU I'd be straight up buying it to replace my desktop PC (for convenience), but if it's mobile then I might have to think about it. Would anyone happen to have any educated guesses, insights or answers on what it'll be?

Thanks heaps

I believe it will be the mobile version unfortunately. Notebookcheck lists it as the 2080 super mobile. The desktop version would be quite the beast to tame with a 250W tdp

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

3 minutes ago, marmour said:

I believe it will be the mobile version unfortunately. Notebookcheck lists it as the 2080 super mobile. The desktop version would be quite the beast to tame with a 250W tdp

Ah damn, it would've been epic. thanks for that though. Looks like I'm going to be waiting for the benchmarks

2 minutes ago, Dirtjelly said:

Ah damn, thanks for that though

Mobile versions don't exist anymore. It's a heavily downclocked 2080S

Just now, 5x5 said:

^ it has been like this since Pascal 

Now they have Max p and max q 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Oh ok. Would that mean it's possible to OC them by a respectable degree? I've never done any overclocking before, but if it'll bring it closer to its desktop version by a considerable amount that would be great 

3 minutes ago, Dirtjelly said:

Oh ok. Would that mean it's possible to OC them by a respectable degree?

No unless you want to overload the power delivery and cook the card with extreme heat. Just don't mess with it

Just now, 5x5 said:

No unless you want to overload the power delivery and cook the card with extreme heat. Just don't mess with it

Ah ok. Thanks for the help :)