Can I keep the Windows install from my previous rig after changing mobo and CPU?

Luxzio22

My mobo or CPU died after 6 loyal years of service. It wasn't POSTing and the guys at the pc repair shop didn't have spares to test on AM3+. Hence, I will be upgrading to the Ryzen age this week and I wanted to know if I could just keep my old HDD with my old Windows 10 install since I didn't back up my Dark Souls 2 savefiles and probably a lot of other stuff. So my question is, will it be okay to plug my old windows install into this new system?

Thanks all and plz F for RIP

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE

Mobo: Gigabyte B450MDS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX570 4GB

1TB HDD, Windows 10 64-bit

windows does like users to switch PC's but still maintaining the same OS although it does work most of the time one your first change. but you probably wont be able to change it any more.

5 minutes ago, Luxzio22 said:

My mobo or CPU died after 6 loyal years of service. It wasn't POSTing and the guys at the pc repair shop didn't have spares to test on AM3+. Hence, I will be upgrading to the Ryzen age this week and I wanted to know if I could just keep my old HDD with my old Windows 10 install since I didn't back up my Dark Souls 2 savefiles and probably a lot of other stuff. So my question is, will it be okay to plug my old windows install into this new system?

It won't be a problem. you might need to log in to your Microsoft account though

You can do it but it may not work as windows doesn't like full hardware changes. So my advice is that you try it back up all you need and reinstall windows 10 to avoid issues that may or may not be obvious yet.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You can do it but it may not work as windows doesn't like full hardware changes. So my advice is that you try it back up all you need and reinstall windows 10 to avoid issues that may or may not be obvious yet.

It will still work as windows 10 OS allowing him to back up his files. He might have problems reactivating windows licence and it's also a very good idea to do a clean install especially to a new platform. 

5 minutes ago, Luxzio22 said:

So my question is, will it be okay to plug my old windows install into this new system?

Hey there. Yes, you will be able to use your previous Windows installation with a new system. The TLDR is below, but the handy-dandy full guide is on Microsoft's site if you need it.

Spoiler
  1. Link your Windows 10 digital license to your Microsoft account.
    • Check whether your digital license is already linked to your MS account.
      • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
      • "Windows is activated with a digital license": The digital license is not linked to your MS account.
      • "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account": The digital license is already linked to your MS account. (Skip to Step 2.)
    • Sign in to Windows 10 with an administrator account, and add your MS account in Settings > Accounts.
      • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
      • Confirm that the Activation field says: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".
  2. Run activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows 10.
    • Sign in to Windows 10 as an administrator.
    • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot.
    • Select "I changed hardware on this device recently".
    • When prompted, enter your MS account and password.
    • When prompted, check "This is the device I’m using right now".
    • Select Activate. Windows 10 should now be activated on your new system.

Source: Reactivating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change by Microsoft.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

1 hour ago, Luxzio22 said:

Use search button on this forum. This question was asked thousand times probably. Answer is - YES, you can boot and use your current installation. Want more info? Here you can find my most complex answer.

@Tom_Nerd, Berkomeister, jaslion, Rancidpunk : thanks guys, all I need is to back up the files I should've done earlier :P Ill do a clean install afterwards. And all my MS loyalty papers are in order so hopefully activation and reinstall goes on smoothly.

@Eschew, homeap : thanks for the info and the guides! I was worried if there would be some hardware issues but apparently Windows is resilient in that regard.

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE

Mobo: Gigabyte B450MDS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX570 4GB

1TB HDD, Windows 10 64-bit