GTX1080 DP No-Signal on Cold Boot

Hello Guys,

this will be an somewhat long story but hopefully someone is reading it and has some good advice.

The main issue is that my GTX1080 does not output to Displayport after an cold boot.

I have 3 monitors connected to it via HDMI, DVI and Displayport.

HDMI and DVI work just fine but Displayport shows no signal after cold boot, if i restart after the cold boot the DP monitor gets picked up and works just fine.

Lets move on to the symptoms and configuration i use:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080 GV-N1080xtreme 8GD-PP

CPU: i7-6700K @4,5GHz

Mobo: Asrock Z170 Xtreme 6

RAM: 32 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V (4 Modules) @3200MHz

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 500GBAnd some other SSD and HDD for Storage and stuff

The system did work fine for the last few years, lately I was messing around with OC and the iGPU from the i7.

Did connect the outer 2 monitors (HDMI and DVI) to the iGPU.

Everything worked fine and ones of a sudden the issue appeared.

Now it dosent mather if I enable or disable the iGPU the DP monitor hooked up to the 1080 is not recognized after cold boot.

Interesting thing is that the monitor (DP one) wakes up on cold boot but then wents back to no signal.

Also back in windows MSI Afterburner for example does not recognize the GPU and shows 0 for Clockspeed and so on (only after restarting Afterburner it shows correct numbers).

What I did try so far:

Reinstall Windows completly

Reinstall GPU driver

Flash GPU BIOS

Clear CMOS

Revert BIOS to default

Dial back any OC i had

Swap DP Port on the GPU

Try to restart GPU driver in Windows with STRG+Windows+Shift+B

None of the above changed anything.

The next things I will try now is to switch to the second BIOS chip on the Mainboard and maybe clear everything by clear CMOS and removing the BIOS Battery.

Searched the Internet for possible solution and some people seem to have this issue with different GPU´s also from older series.

None of the people on the internet seemed to fix it so far...

Would be very thankful for any advice you have on how to maybe fix this.

If you need any other information just let me know.

Cheers 🍻

5 minutes ago, Panic0815 said:

Reinstall Windows completly

Reinstall GPU driver

Flash GPU BIOS

Clear CMOS

Revert BIOS to default

Dial back any OC i had

Swap DP Port on the GPU

Try to restart GPU driver in Windows with STRG+Windows+Shift+B

Well that is all the things I was going to mention

The only thing left in my mind is trying it in another system if possible 

Like a friend's system or something

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

@TofuHaroto

I maybe can build some very low end but working machine with the parts I have around.

May give the GPU a shot in another system and see how it goes.

After all maybe this is my PC telling me I have to upgrade to Ryzen :D

Thanks for the reply, keep you posted if the GPU works with another Machine.

1 minute ago, Panic0815 said:

Thanks for the reply, keep you posted if the GPU works with another Machine.

Good luck :D

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

• 8 months later...

Hi all, same problem as Panic0815.

My hardware is:

GPU: GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming 8G (rev. 1.0)
CPU: i7-5820K @4,1GHz (Overclocked)

Mobo: GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
RAM: 64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws V (16gb x 4 Modules) @3200MHz (can only runs at 2133Mhz)

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 500GB and some other HDD for Storage and stuff

Before I used to use dual monitor configuration (DP + DVI)

But recently i have change my two monitor and buy 2x LG 27GL850-B and connect them through DP + DP.

The problem is exactly the same as Panic0815. On first boot (coold boot), i only see signal in one monitor (connected to DP1).

The other monitor (connected to DP2) cant receive signal. 

I tried many things:

.- Changed the DP cable with many others brand cables 

.- Changed the cable connected in DP2 to DP3 port

.- Update firmware of the GPU (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/vga_bios_gv-n1080xtreme_8gd_f2_beta.zip)

.- Update firmware of the DP by NVIDIA (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/)

.- Enable/Disable fast startup of W10

.- Enable/Disable Overlock CPU in BIOS

If I reboot the computer o shutdown and poweron instanly the second monitor goes up and receive signal, and i can work with 2 monitors.

I'm starting to get desperate, has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks all.

I answer to myself.

After a lot of testing and a lot of research on Google I found more people with this problem.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gtx-1080-not-showing-video-on-boot-works-when-i-restart.2782395/
This URL describes the problem as a graphics card hardware problem.

You even have a video on youtube with the problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFjje62vi2c&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=ChrisLong)

It appears that the GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming 8G graphics card boots in VR mode (1xDP & 3xHDMI) on a cold boot. With the consequence of seeing only 1 monitor connected by DP
If we do a reboot, the graphics card starts up in normal mode (3xDP & 1xHDMI). With the consequence of seeing the 2 monitors connected by DP.

Being a hardware problem there is no feasible software solution (forget about BIOS updates and others ...)

It appears that Gigabyte released a later revision for this card (2.0) that supposedly fixes this problem. (https://www.gigabyte.com/es/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080XTREME-8GD-rev-20/sp#sp), although I personally have not been able to verify it.

But for those of us who have revision 1.0 we have no solution.

The only possible "fixes" are:

.- In cold boot, press the reset button of the PC almost immediately after turning on the PC. This will force the PC to perform a warm boot. (similary to reset)
   .- If you have 2 monitors connected to the graphics card via DP, try to connect one of them via HDMI. In cold boot there is always video if you have two monitors connected by HDMI and DP respectively.

I don't know if Gigabyte could have fixed this with some new BIOS version or something similar. It´s strange that they have released a version 2.0 of the card, perhaps it was not so easy to solve the problem.
Either way I am frustrated and disappointed, as these types of graphics cards are not exactly cheap and I consider this a big problem that should have been solved.

• 2 years later...

I hope it works for somebody:

After a long time, this thread seemed forgotten, and my big problem with the GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming 8g was still there.

Today i have seen that NVIDIA has launch a firmware update for GTX cards (among others), which solve some problems with the Display Port 1.3/1.4.

Theoretically, without this update, some systems that are connected to DP 1.3/1.4 monitors can have black screens until it starts or included hangings.
This update solves these problems and some others.

Although in theory this update should not fix the problem of my GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming 8g and its two monitors connected by DP in cold starts, after installing the update just a few minutes ago, I think my problem has disappeared!

You have the link here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-Update-x64/

Personally, after installing the update, I have connected my two monitors by DP to the graphic card. I have turned off the computer, I have unplugged the cable which is connected to the power supply, and I wait about 3 minutes. 
After waiting this time, I have connected the cable again to the power supply and when I turn on the computer I have a signal again in the two monitors (yes, only when Windows is fully loaded).

I will have to perform more tests, but it has a very buffet. Finally after years of waiting, I can enjoy my two connected monitors.

Thank you NVIDIA