I can't get my head around case fans.

LinusPCHelp415
Go to solution Solved by Chiyawa,
24 minutes ago, LinusPCHelp415 said:

What's your personal preference? And what's the most commonly used for noobs like myself.

Thanks for replying

Whichever you choose, it should be the same. Like @Eighjan said, it's just how the fan are being controlled.

Anyway, here are some tips to choose your fan:

- If you are using the fan to blow through a heat-sink or radiator, you need to use fan with high static pressure (usually rated in mmH2O). The higher the static pressure, the harder the fan can push the air into the radiator fins or heat-sink fins.

- If you are using the air to blow to open spaces, a high airflow fan will do the job well. They usually measure in CFM (Cubic Feet per minute) or CMH (Cubic Meter per hour). The higher the value, the more air it can push.

- There are some fans design for all in one (they can be used for both application, having decent amount of airflow and static pressure). These fan usually aim for those who doesn't want to see a case with mix up fans (and usually for aesthetic purpose).

- You may need to check out the noise level and fan speed as well. If you are building a silence system, go for a fan that runs on low RPM, as they generate less noise. If you want a better performance fan, get a higher RPM fan.

- RGB LED is optional. It just make your system looks 'cool' and has no other cooling effects.

- Interfaces. Some fans (i.e.: Thermaltake Pure Plus fans) uses proprietary interfaces that requires their own proprietary controller, while many fans do use standard fan header and RGB header. Be sure to check which RGB header your fan uses, as they use different voltage and will damage your system if plug in wrongly. RGB uses 12V and has a 3 channel R, G and B to control the light making them having 4 pins while aRGB uses 5V, Ground and Data to control individual RGB light making them having 3 pins. As for the fan cable, they usually comes with either 3 pin or 4 pin socket, both of them can be connect to the fan header as long as you align pin 1 correctly. Many fans do come with a socket that has a notch so it can fit the fan header latch.

- Bearing type. Bearing plays an important role in any fan, and they determine the fan characteristic, such as how fast the fan can run and the longevity of the fan. If you are looking for a good lifespan, hydraulic fan (or some may refer to as fluid dynamic fan) has good life span (usually in around 350k hours to 450k hours MTBF), while rifle bearing can run at higher speed. You can learn more about these bearings in the net.

- Size does matter. Depending on the type of fan your case support, generally, bigger fans are more silent while having higher performance. If you compare 120mm fan to 140mm fan, you'll realised that 140mm fan runs lower rpm yet having better CFM.

- Price. No point of having a fan with the best  of the best if it makes you broke.

Hope this helps you a little.

Regards,

Chiyawa

Hi, I currently have the NZXT S340 case.

The fan support is as follows;
Front: 2x 140/2x120mm
Top: 1x 140/120mm (1 x 120mm FN V2 Fans Included)
Rear: 1x 120mm (1 x 120mm FN V2 Fan Included)

As it can support a total of [4] case fans, I'm planning to
remove the default 2 120mm fans included, and purchase 4 x ARCTIC F12 TC
[assuming it's a good decision].

My motherboard is; MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON.

Picture of CPU fan format

MrRWinz.png

So we're ignoring PUMP_FAN1 [directly top right of the image], and the CPU_FAN1 [top right of the CPU].

We're then left with 4 available SYS_FAN slots, which is fine because the NZXT as mentioned, supports 4.

What's confusing me is this "PWM vs DC", I've read into it but nothings making sense.

I'm aware of intake/outtake concept and will read into what's best, but yeah, any elaboration or help to ease my mind on this will be greatly appreciated!

DC & PWM are the two ways that fan speeds are controlled.

DC fans are always switched on & the voltage supplied varies how fast the fan spins; usually controlled my hardware.

PWM fans use a switching system to run the fans - or not - as they're required; usually controlled by software.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

7 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

DC & PWM are the two ways that fan speeds are controlled.

DC fans are always switched on & the voltage supplied varies how fast the fan spins; usually controlled my hardware.

PWM fans use a switching system to run the fans - or not - as they're required; usually controlled by software.

What's your personal preference? And what's the most commonly used for noobs like myself.

Thanks for replying

DC tend to be the easier ones to use... and usually less expensive, too.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

24 minutes ago, LinusPCHelp415 said:

Thanks for replying

Whichever you choose, it should be the same. Like @Eighjan said, it's just how the fan are being controlled.

Anyway, here are some tips to choose your fan:

- If you are using the fan to blow through a heat-sink or radiator, you need to use fan with high static pressure (usually rated in mmH2O). The higher the static pressure, the harder the fan can push the air into the radiator fins or heat-sink fins.

- If you are using the air to blow to open spaces, a high airflow fan will do the job well. They usually measure in CFM (Cubic Feet per minute) or CMH (Cubic Meter per hour). The higher the value, the more air it can push.

- There are some fans design for all in one (they can be used for both application, having decent amount of airflow and static pressure). These fan usually aim for those who doesn't want to see a case with mix up fans (and usually for aesthetic purpose).

- You may need to check out the noise level and fan speed as well. If you are building a silence system, go for a fan that runs on low RPM, as they generate less noise. If you want a better performance fan, get a higher RPM fan.

- RGB LED is optional. It just make your system looks 'cool' and has no other cooling effects.

- Interfaces. Some fans (i.e.: Thermaltake Pure Plus fans) uses proprietary interfaces that requires their own proprietary controller, while many fans do use standard fan header and RGB header. Be sure to check which RGB header your fan uses, as they use different voltage and will damage your system if plug in wrongly. RGB uses 12V and has a 3 channel R, G and B to control the light making them having 4 pins while aRGB uses 5V, Ground and Data to control individual RGB light making them having 3 pins. As for the fan cable, they usually comes with either 3 pin or 4 pin socket, both of them can be connect to the fan header as long as you align pin 1 correctly. Many fans do come with a socket that has a notch so it can fit the fan header latch.

- Bearing type. Bearing plays an important role in any fan, and they determine the fan characteristic, such as how fast the fan can run and the longevity of the fan. If you are looking for a good lifespan, hydraulic fan (or some may refer to as fluid dynamic fan) has good life span (usually in around 350k hours to 450k hours MTBF), while rifle bearing can run at higher speed. You can learn more about these bearings in the net.

- Size does matter. Depending on the type of fan your case support, generally, bigger fans are more silent while having higher performance. If you compare 120mm fan to 140mm fan, you'll realised that 140mm fan runs lower rpm yet having better CFM.

- Price. No point of having a fan with the best  of the best if it makes you broke.

Hope this helps you a little.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

23 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

The thing you have to watch out for though is that DC fans have no control over their speed whatsoever. My preference is PWM as most fans are going to have that option anyway but you can set the headers to run as DC if you want in the BIOS or software.

8 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

The thing you have to watch out for though is that DC fans have no control over their speed whatsoever. My preference is PWM as most fans are going to have that option anyway but you can set the headers to run as DC if you want in the BIOS or software.

I've decided to purchase

ARCTIC F12 PWM

Seems quite cheap, and arrives same day. I've bought the 4 of them.

Now I just have to wrap my head around this intake/outtake stuff. Although i'm sure I'll be able to just copy a YouTuber, thanks for everyones input/help!

Just now, LinusPCHelp415 said:

I've decided to purchase

ARCTIC F12 PWM

Seems quite cheap, and arrives same day. I've bought the 4 of them.

Now I just have to wrap my head around this intake/outtake stuff. Although i'm sure I'll be able to just copy a YouTuber, thanks for everyones input/help!

All you really need to know about airflow is that there needs to be enough to keep temps under control. Some cases do this better than others, like mine in this case. Phanteks didn't really do a good job. The most common way to do it is to have balanced pressure in the case meaning you have fans taking air in and exhausting it out. The most common way to do this is to put a few fans in the front for intake and one at the back for exhaust. Depending on your components and where heat is actually being generated, this can change.

11 hours ago, Eighjan said:

The price difference is marginal in todays world. Things were different few years ago. I don't get what makes you say DC is easier to use. They work same way, PWM just allows for more accurate control.

11 hours ago, ToneBone said:

Bolded part isn't true. DC controls have been basic feature of even budget mobos for past few generations. And even before that you could control DC fans, always could have. The thing back when PWM was making its way to mobo's was that default controls didn't control DC fans. Still you could, and still can, use 3rd party software for controls. For example I have Z87 board and 3x DC controlled case fans. All controlled with Speedfan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Bolded part isn't true. DC controls have been basic feature of even budget mobos for past few generations. And even before that you could control DC fans, always could have. The thing back when PWM was making its way to mobo's was that default controls didn't control DC fans. Still you could, and still can, use 3rd party software for controls. For example I have Z87 board and 3x DC controlled case fans. All controlled with Speedfan.

Oh, I actually didn't know that. Thanks!