Kraken G10 & 7970 Questions

Just a question about the 7970 paired with the Kraken G10. Will i need some heat sinks for the VRM and the RAM or will the fan be enough to cool it. Just a question because i have a left over AIO water cooling kit from my Intel System.  

They market it as though you don't need them, but I can imagine they get really hot so if they will fit it might not be a bad idea. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

They market it as though you don't need them, but I can imagine they get really hot so if they will fit it might not be a bad idea. 

^

The fan will be enough but it doesn't hurt to add them anyway. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just a question about the 7970 paired with the Kraken G10. Will i need some heat sinks for the VRM and the RAM or will the fan be enough to cool it. Just a question because i have a left over AIO water cooling kit from my Intel System.  

ive been wondering the same thing, been wanting to try it on my 7950 for awhile now. If you have the time document your progress/findings! :)

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

I dont know if i want to void my Life time warranty with XFX.   Like i am going to keep the card long enough lol 

I dont know if i want to void my Life time warranty with XFX.   Like i am going to keep the card long enough lol 

Id get some heatsinks for it. I did for my 680 with the g10, which, I'm getting not the best temps with on the gpu.

Id get some heatsinks for it. I did for my 680 with the g10, which, I'm getting not the best temps with on the gpu.

Next question where would I find the heat sinks for the VRM & memory for the 7970. More worried about the VRM then anything I can find RAM heatsinks pretty much anywhere

I said the VRM not the RAM modules

** XFX has carefully selected the optimal thermal or fansink component for your graphics card model.  We do not encourage the removal of components due to damage that may result in the process. XFX understands that some enthusiasts may choose to replace the original component with their own cooling solution. To support the gaming community, we recommend that you contact XFX prior to any modifications so that we can update your profile and product registration to avoid potential issues with warranty support.  In addition, XFX support will be able to walk through the installation with you or provide feedback and pointers on available options for your specific product.  You may even consider shipping your components to XFX and allow the technicians at XFX to perform the modification for you (shipping charges to XFX apply).

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/help/support/warrantyinformation.aspx

Curing shitposts by shitposts

I just bought them and they fit perfectly on my 7870s. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctepj2ts3fftdq5/20140301_091043.jpg

that's not the vrm that the vram. vrm is power delivery.  still good idea to use on them tought

@ace2k8 this should answer your question. on the last post there is my attempt at geto heat-sinks

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111147-super-scary-vrm-temperatures-on-r9-290-update-now-with-custom-vrm-cooling/

that's not the vrm that the vram. vrm is power delivery. still good idea to use on them tought

@ace2k8 this should answer your question. on the last post there is my attempt at geto heat-sinks

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111147-super-scary-vrm-temperatures-on-r9-290-update-now-with-custom-vrm-cooling/

Oh oops, I still used those same ones on the vrm but with a thermal adhesive/pad under them

Haven't gotten heatsinks for my vrms just my ram on the card but it all depends on your card. I wasn't able to use those stick on sponge...things that come with the g10 lol Just because of clearance.  

I know Asus, MSI and Visionteck (yes, Visionteck ; got an email answered from them) don't void the warranty. I know Sapphire does. Not sure about the others.

Spoiler

BTW, I have a 7970 and a g10 right now. at stock, you'll be FINE. so long as you mount the fan blowing onto the vrm. I'm trying my luck with OC'ing, and I'm having trouble determining what an acceptable voltage is. I get temps way too high with 1.3v, but that might be due to a need of a shim (which I'm also unsure of whether or not I need)

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, I have a 7970 and a g10 right now. at stock, you'll be FINE. so long as you mount the fan blowing onto the vrm. I'm trying my luck with OC'ing, and I'm having trouble determining what an acceptable voltage is. I get temps way too high with 1.3v, but that might be due to a need of a shim (which I'm also unsure of whether or not I need)

Any update on and overclocking I am really interested in buying thas for my 7970

As long as you contact them and have them put a note on your warranty for the card, XFX allows you to put water blocks on your GPUs without voiding the warranties. All they require you to do, if you ever have to RMA the card is put the stock heatsiink back on prior to sending it back to them.

Note: this only applies to North America customers

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Any update on and overclocking I am really interested in buying thas for my 7970

I bought a shim and a set of heatsinks for VRM. even OC'ed I never go above 70 on the VRM and never above 60 on the core. ever.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

• 5 weeks later...

Carolkarine is spot on, did the same with a shim and vrm Heatsinks and get very similar results, very pleased.

if you buy the kraken g10, buy some low profile heatsinks to put on the vrms/memory