Entire PC Freezing/Crashing randomly

Khoomn

So the title doesnt do much description to my problem

Not exactly sure when this started but id say maybe mid april.

So to get down into the detail of when this happens and what happens, it goes like this. I will be watching youtube. It is either when firefox or discord is being used. Even though discord is open 24/7 i have only had it happen once when mainly focused on discord. 60% of the time I am able to recover from it but it takes about 2-3 minutes to do so. 40% of the time it will freeze my entire pc and black screen. It happened again maybe 5 minutes ago and during that time, it froze, black screened, then I was able to move my mouse around and all my corsair lights were moving as if everything was fine, I was not able to ctrl alt delete to get to task manager or anything. During the 60% of the time I will not black screen but it will freeze on whatever frame it is currently on in the YT video when in full screen.

If you need a better description of what happens and when it happens please ask.

I have things here that I have ruled out, and things that I have not.

Ruled out:

CPU Overclock

GPU Overclock

Faulty Ram (Memtest86 said its 100% fine)

Faulty SSD (Error Checked it)

Not Ruled out:

Faulty Mobo

Faulty GPU

Faulty CPU

Anything else that you might suggest.

If I am to test with different components I have multiple old hardware that I know for a fact works fine

My old CPU - 7600k, Mobo - H110M, Ram - 4GBx2 2400mhz I think Gskill ripjaws, GPU - GTX 1060 6GB, 275GB MX300 Crucial SSD

If you want to test out the RAM, you can download a program called Memtest, it comes with a program to mount it to a flash drive. Boot to the flash drive and run that, it does take a while to run the whole test though.

6 minutes ago, jmane2009 said:

If you want to test out the RAM, you can download a program called Memtest, it comes with a program to mount it to a flash drive. Boot to the flash drive and run that, it does take a while to run the whole test though.

Ok, is it memtest.org or memtest86.com

Just now, Khoomn said:

Ok, is it memtest.org or memtest86.com

I downloaded mine from memtest86. If you don't mind my asking, what SSD do you have in your build and how much RAM?

6 minutes ago, jmane2009 said:

I downloaded mine from memtest86. If you don't mind my asking, what SSD do you have in your build and how much RAM?

I have a Samsung 860 Evo 1TB from like 2-3 years ago when i bought it new and I have 16gb 8x2 Corsair LPX 3600mhz

Gotcha, you can also scan your drive for errors by going to My Computer, right click on the drive you want to scan, Properties, Tools, Check, Scan Drive.

9 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

I have a Samsung 860 Evo 1TB from like 2-3 years ago when i bought it new and I have 16gb 8x2 Corsair LPX 3600mhz

So you have 16 gbs of ram now? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

So you have 16 gbs of ram now? 

yes

5 minutes ago, jmane2009 said:

Gotcha, you can also scan your drive for errors by going to My Computer, right click on the drive you want to scan, Properties, Tools, Check, Scan Drive.

Error checking is different from defragging right? Because I know defragging will kill an ssd

image.png.97d1ee3a1dca51c823b9b954b41ad183.png

Yes, scanning just checks for errors. It does not move files around or anything like that.

Edit: If an error is found, it will write to the disk. But in a targeted way that will not affect SSD lifespan in any significant way.

5 minutes ago, jmane2009 said:

Yes, scanning just checks for errors. It does not move files around or anything like that.

Just scanned it and its fine

6 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

Just scanned it and its fine

Well there is that. The next time it happens, you could open up Event Viewer and check to see which critical errors are being shown (if any).

On 6/10/2020 at 12:07 AM, jmane2009 said:

Well there is that. The next time it happens, you could open up Event Viewer and check to see which critical errors are being shown (if any).

Ram seems to be perfectly fine

image0.jpg?width=902&height=677

image0.jpg?width=902&height=677

I sound like a broken record by now. But did you check the PSU? If it is unstable or gives "bad" current you will be in sh*t creek without a paddle in no time. Get another known good PSU, test it, or if you have the tools measure the output. Also pay attention to the GPU. If you have an AMD and it glitches like that and you have a dual monitor setup, try setting one of the monitors to something like 59Hz or something, it is important not to get them both at the same frequency. 

3 hours ago, maksic87 said:

I sound like a broken record by now. But did you check the PSU? If it is unstable or gives "bad" current you will be in sh*t creek without a paddle in no time. Get another known good PSU, test it, or if you have the tools measure the output. Also pay attention to the GPU. If you have an AMD and it glitches like that and you have a dual monitor setup, try setting one of the monitors to something like 59Hz or something, it is important not to get them both at the same frequency. 

How would I be able to check my PSU, i have an RTX 2070 Super, I only have one monitor for the time being but its usually 2, the only thing is, it never started doing this until i went to 1 monitor

Also my PSU is an EVGA 750 Watt 80+ Gold power supply

19 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

How would I be able to check my PSU, i have an RTX 2070 Super, I only have one monitor for the time being but its usually 2, the only thing is, it never started doing this until i went to 1 monitor

Also my PSU is an EVGA 750 Watt 80+ Gold power supply

There are ways it can be done. I'm no expert on power supplies, but using an actual power supply tester is a way to do it. 

Link: Thermaltake Dr. Power II Automated Power Supply Tester

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Hi, let's try something else.

1. Open Event Viewer (Run → eventvwr.msc).
  2. Locate the log to be exported. (export system event logs)
  3. Select the logs that you want to export, right-click on them and select "Save All Events As".
  4. Enter a file name that includes the log type and the server it was exported from.
  5. Save as a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file.

Once you have the CSV attach it here. We should be able to see what crashed. Just give us the approximate time of the crashes. 

42 minutes ago, maksic87 said:

Hi, let's try something else.

1. Open Event Viewer (Run → eventvwr.msc).
  2. Locate the log to be exported. (export system event logs)
  3. Select the logs that you want to export, right-click on them and select "Save All Events As".
  4. Enter a file name that includes the log type and the server it was exported from.
  5. Save as a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file.

Once you have the CSV attach it here. We should be able to see what crashed. Just give us the approximate time of the crashes. 

It happened around 11:09, in system it says last reboot was unexpected, thats when I had to forcefully shut off my pc to get back to normal

Thanks! I believe we have a winner.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video3
0cec(3188) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

This is a video driver issue and reports a corrupted video driver.

Also there is this

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Legacy Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x7:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E84&SUBSYS_40011458&REV_A1

Could you first try a clean driver reinstall for your NVidia card and then if the error persists test with another GPU?

Just now, maksic87 said:

Thanks! I believe we have a winner.

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video3
0cec(3188) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

This is a video driver issue and reports a corrupted video driver.

Also there is this

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Legacy Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x7:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E84&SUBSYS_40011458&REV_A1

Could you first try a clean driver reinstall for your NVidia card and then if the error persists test with another GPU?

So I should DDU my graphics drivers then see if it persists? and what does the PCI Express Legacy Endpoint one mean?

Definitely clean up the drivers and smack new ones there. As for the PCIex part incompatible driver installed is the cause IMHO. Download chipset drivers from AMD for your board, install them after you remove your GPU drivers and then install the GPU drivers again. That should solve it. If not, then use a second card just as a sanity check to definitely locate the cause of the problem.

Just now, maksic87 said:

Definitely clean up the drivers and smack new ones there. As for the PCIex part incompatible driver installed is the cause IMHO. Download chipset drivers from AMD for your board, install them after you remove your GPU drivers and then install the GPU drivers again. That should solve it. If not, then use a second card just as a sanity check to definitely locate the cause of the problem.

Anything in here that you think might work? Apparently its a problem with the 3000 series chipset from AMD

Try slipping in the old GPU before anything and test.

Also could you send us the exact mobo model and revision? Would love to investigate if anyone else had a same issue.

1 hour ago, maksic87 said:

Try slipping in the old GPU before anything and test.

Also could you send us the exact mobo model and revision? Would love to investigate if anyone else had a same issue.

If by revision you mean bios version then sure

Asus Prime X570-P

Bios version 1005 from 8/2/2019

Hey according to this you are 4 versions behind on BIOS.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/HelpDesk_Download/

There was a patch in there to "improve system stability" so you just might flash BIOS to the latest version and see if you still have the issues. Ofc if you are comfortable in doing so. 

I usually patch as soon as an update is out.

Good luck on this and let us know what happened if you managed to find some time to test all of this.