Contrast ratio looks good on my IPS, but it's supposed to be bad. I'm confused.

Jaquavius
Go to solution Solved by Jaquavius,

Figured it out! I'm an idiot. People said I have to be in a dark room to notice the bad contrast ratio meaning no exterior light. Well obviously that includes light from the monitor around my black image. I did not have the black image fullscreen'd. I had a bright, crisp white bar at the top from my browser.

Making the black image completely fullscreen RADICALLY changes the way it looks. It looks A LOT more gray when I do that. It does not look pitch black at all when I fullscreen the image and I also notice a lot of IPS glow. And as soon as I hit "esc" and the white bar at the top returns, the image immediately looks pitch black again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YziWErIr_w&t=89s

This video shows off an IPS vs VA contrast ratio. In this video the black on the IPS monitor looks like dark blue. It looks terrible!

But I have a pretty average IPS monitor (rated at 1000:1 which is supposed to be pretty poor).

Apparently blacks will look gray in dark lit rooms with that contrast ratio. I am sitting in a pitch black room right now looking at my average, run-of-the-mill IPS monitor looking at this pitch black picture: https://wallpaperplay.com/walls/full/2/0/7/15810.jpg

It looks PITCH BLACK to me. Like I can't imagine it being darker. It looks like I'm staring into a void. What am I missing? It looks the same when I light up my room as well.

Am I missing something about how contrast ratio is measured? Would I notice a difference if I had a VA monitor with good contrast ration next to my IPS monitor?

11 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YziWErIr_w&t=89s

This video shows off an IPS vs VA contrast ratio. In this video the black on the IPS monitor looks like dark blue. It looks terrible!

But I have a pretty average IPS monitor (rated at 1000:1 which is supposed to be pretty poor).

Apparently blacks will look gray in dark lit rooms with that contrast ratio. I am sitting in a pitch black room right now looking at my average, run-of-the-mill IPS monitor looking at this pitch black picture: https://wallpaperplay.com/walls/full/2/0/7/15810.jpg

It looks PITCH BLACK to me. Like I can't imagine it being darker. It looks like I'm staring into a void. What am I missing? It looks the same when I light up my room as well.

Am I missing something about how contrast ratio is measured? Would I notice a difference if I had a VA monitor with good contrast ration next to my IPS monitor?

Isnt that just ips glow in the video? i dont think these blacks had anything to do with contrast ratio. Also there are a lot of different types of ips, is your monitor even from the same manufacturer? 

2 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Isnt that just ips glow in the video? i dont think these blacks had anything to do with contrast ratio

But the image looks black on his VA monitor and does not look black on his IPS monitor. You mean that recording it makes the difference worse in the video?

1 minute ago, Jaquavius said:

But the image looks black on his VA monitor and does not look black on his IPS monitor. You mean that recording it makes the difference worse in the video?

Sorry I meant backlight bleeding, not ips glow, I keep confusing those two. It is basically just seeing the backlight through a black image because it's not properly covered and can shine through. This is different from monitor to monitor (LG tends to have a lot from my own experience) and yours may just not have it. Also, contrast (maximum difference in brightness between black and white) wouldn't have any effect on a static black image

22 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

cant read [deleted]

4 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

IPS screens have a higher "light floor" than VA. Your screen is showing a black image, but there's still light coming out of the screen right? VA has less of that light, and that's what is being shown in the comparison video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, OddGreyFox211 said:

Is that a screenshot?

Nah it's just a picture I found it online.

Personally if i do try to film my IPS monitor with my cell phone in a black room...especially like in a all black loading screen like this one...it would for sure would look pretty bad...but when actually using the monitor, it's absolutely amazing...good colors, decent contrast...awesome....some IPS glow in REAL dark maps tho which can be anoying at times...but very rarely...it has to be the game that is too black, find the vision googles or a light switch kind of blacks you know.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Jaquavius said:

Yes, I actually managed to properly read your sentence at the third try and not just skim your post. Quite proud of myself :)

3 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

it's impossible to compare monitor quality based on pictures or videos online...end of the story :)

Monitor quality is something you can only judge with your own eyes when using it...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Figured it out! I'm an idiot. People said I have to be in a dark room to notice the bad contrast ratio meaning no exterior light. Well obviously that includes light from the monitor around my black image. I did not have the black image fullscreen'd. I had a bright, crisp white bar at the top from my browser.

Making the black image completely fullscreen RADICALLY changes the way it looks. It looks A LOT more gray when I do that. It does not look pitch black at all when I fullscreen the image and I also notice a lot of IPS glow. And as soon as I hit "esc" and the white bar at the top returns, the image immediately looks pitch black again.

2 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

but then if you go play your games and use the monitor normally instead of looking at black pictures you'll quikly realize that in general the monitor does look and feel really good right?

Stop worying about stupid stuff like that.

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

IPS screens have a higher "light floor" than VA. Your screen is showing a black image, but there's still light coming out of the screen right? VA has less of that light, and that's what is being shown in the comparison video.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Personally if i do try to film my IPS monitor with my cell phone in a black room...especially like in a all black loading screen like this one...it would for sure would look pretty bad...but when actually using the monitor, it's absolutely amazing...good colors, decent contrast...awesome....some IPS glow in REAL dark maps tho which can be anoying at times...but very rarely...it has to be the game that is too black, find the vision googles or a light switch kind of blacks you know.

7 minutes ago, OddGreyFox211 said:

Sorry I meant backlight bleeding, not ips glow, I keep confusing those two. It is basically just seeing the backlight through a black image because it's not properly covered and can shine through. This is different from monitor to monitor (LG tends to have a lot from my own experience) and yours may just not have it. Also, contrast (maximum difference in brightness between black and white) wouldn't have any effect on a static black image

Sorry guys, thanks for replying! Appreciate the effort, but I figured it out. Posted it above for anyone else who makes the stupid mistake that I made lol.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

but then if you go play your games and use the monitor normally instead of looking at black pictures you'll quikly realize that in general the monitor does look and feel really good right?

Oh yeah, I always felt that my monitor looked amazinggg. I've never felt that the contrast ratio was bad in regular use. Plus looking at a pitch black image is not something I would usually do lol. The more light sources on the screen, the better blacks look so for most scenes, even in a dark room, the contrast will look fine.

6 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

You've discovered one of the wonders and shortcomings of the human eye, everything is relative.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

You've discovered one of the wonders and shortcomings of the human eye, everything is relative.

It's shocking how relative it is!