DVI-D GPU output to HDMI monitor compatibility?

Hi, I'm very new to the computer building scene and this topic has been bugging me because of conflicting information on the internet and even several forums

I bought a used Powercolor RX580 with only DVI-D Dual Link output and nothing else; I'm confused whether it will be capable of outputting 1080p 120 hz or 144 hz refresh rate on a monitor with HDMI input (since most monitors will have HDMI anyways)

All other information has been nothing but mix and mash and I rarely see people mentioning about them using a DVI-D output, at least not unless their monitor has a DVI-D input as well

Edited by Nanokillzx33
Clarifications

depending on the resolution which would be anything other than 4k at 120 or 144 hz should be possible via hdmi and display port dvi is older with less bandwidth

There are DVI-D Single Link and DVI-D Dual Link connectors and cables.
You have to make sure to have both a DVI-D DL connector and cable. That can provide 144Hz at Full HD - NOT at higher resolutions!

Datei:DVI Connector Types.svg

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

There are DVI-D Single Link and DVI-D Dual Link connectors and cables.
You have to make sure to have both a DVI-D DL connector and cable. That can provide 144Hz at Full HD - NOT at higher resolutions!

Datei:DVI Connector Types.svg

Thank you, I forgot to mention that it is a dual link. DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI should be fine then? I've already bought one but I haven't chosen a monitor yet for fear of wasting my money

6 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

Thank you, I forgot to mention that it is a dual link. DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI should be fine then? I've already bought one but I haven't chosen a monitor yet for fear of wasting my money

Now that I think about it, it might be hard to find an adapter that can do that.
While DVI-D DL can carry 1920x1080 144Hz, HDMI 1.4 cannot and I don't think DVI-D to HDMI 2.0 cables are a thing.

HDMI 1.4 is only capeable of 1920x1080@120Hz.

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Now that I think about it, it might be hard to find an adapter that can do that.
While DVI-D DL can carry 1920x1080 144Hz, HDMI 1.4 cannot and I don't think DVI-D to HDMI 2.0 cables are a thing.

I also couldn't find a definite answer as to how to identify HDMI version cables are, and much less so with DVI-D dl to HDMI's.

Would you say it's safe to bet that 120 hz is possible on 1080p?

18 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

Single link stuff also sometimes has dual link ports a dual link gpu out will also generally do single link.  Dual link divD actually has everything DP does I think but it’s a much older port type and various manufacturers seem to be trying to kill it.  They’re doing things like not including it in drivers and stuff. I’ve got a dual link DviD monitor that is actually really nice, and is still functional, but some company or other killed the driver (might be microsoft, might be LG, might be AMD) so I’ve got a 30”wuxga 144hz 1440p paperweight.  Still angry about that.

12 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I don’t know either but dual dviD-> display port are.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

I also couldn't find a definite answer as to how to identify HDMI version cables are, and much less so with DVI-D dl to HDMI's.

Would you say it's safe to bet that 120 hz is possible on 1080p?

120Hz is definitely possible.

You can't differenciate HDMI cables in versions, because they're all the same when it comes to their pin layout. They only differenciate themselves by the quality of the shielding.

Maybe @Glenwing can offer a little more information. So far any display question I threw at him he was able to answer 😛 

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Single link stuff also sometimes has dual link ports a dual link gpu out will also generally do single link.  Dual link divD actually has everything DP does I think but it’s a much older port type and various manufacturers seem to be trying to kill it.  They’re doing things like not including it in drivers and stuff. I’ve got a dual link DviD monitor that is actually really nice, and is still functional, but some company or other killed the driver (might be microsoft, might be LG, might be AMD) so I’ve got a 30”wuxga 144hz 1440p paperweight.  Still angry about that.

I don’t know either but dual dviD-> display port are.

Wait how do I differentiate a GPU that outputs only single link if it has a dual link DVI out, or did I get you wrong

22 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

Wait how do I differentiate a GPU that outputs only single link if it has a dual link DVI out, or did I get you wrong

The gpu outputs dual link because it’s a rx580. GPUs are generally good about having the right output port.  It’s the cables that can be evil.  The problem is a cable you buy may be only dviD-> DP yet have a dual link dviD connector on it.  It’s super annoying. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thank you for clarifying that I was confused there for a bit 

5 hours ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

Hi, I'm very new to the computer building scene and this topic has been bugging me because of conflicting information on the internet and even several forums

I bought a used Powercolor RX580 with only DVI-D Dual Link output and nothing else; I'm confused whether it will be capable of outputting 1080p 120 hz or 144 hz refresh rate on a monitor with HDMI input (since most monitors will have HDMI anyways)

All other information has been nothing but mix and mash and I rarely see people mentioning about them using a DVI-D output, at least not unless their monitor has a DVI-D input as well

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=DVI&input=HDMI

A passive adapter can be used to connect a DVI output to an HDMI input. It does not matter what type of DVI port is used (DVI-D, DVI-I, Single/Dual-Link), all of them function identically when connected to an HDMI port.

A DVI output to HDMI input connection with a passive adapter has the same capabilities as a native HDMI connection. All HDMI-specific features such as inline audio will work when a DVI to HDMI adapter is used from a DVI source to an HDMI display.