Is my SSD going to die.

HairyChickens

Hi LTT forums, so a few days ago I decided to clean my laptop keyboard. But after I finished cleaning I noticed a high pitched/squeaking sound coming from my laptop. This sound seems unusually loud. I don't think I ever heard this sound before from my laptop. (The way I was cleaning my keyboard was that I took of the key caps and cleaned out the dust/gunk inside using blu tac and isprophyl alcohol)

This sound kinda sounds like the SSD in this video except a bit more high pitch and intense at times.

I find it hard to believe that I damaged my SSD when I was cleaning my keyboard. Perhaps I pressed too hard on the frame or some alcohol could've leaked through.

So with that said is my SSD going to die because I'm really paranoid about the sound it is making. (Or could the sound be coming from something else, eg. a broken fan, something on the mortherboard.)

Few things on my laptop, the Thermals on the CPU and GPU seem fine and the fan revs up during gaming as normal, Windows still feel snappy and game load times seem normal. I haven't tried transferring a large file or used software like CrystalDiskMark in case my SSD is actually dieing and that stress would kill it. 

28 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

going to die

If you have backups of the data on it, then it doesn't really matter...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Run something like CrystalDiskInfo or the manufacturer's own tool to check the status of the SSD. It is probably fine. Noises like coil whine are possible and maybe annoying, but in itself isn't necessarily a sign of something about to die.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you have backups of the data on it, then it doesn't really matter...

I have backups of all of my files but because Windows is on that SSD im worried that ill lose that and I'm not sure how to backup that besides using acronis true image 2020 from an LTT video I watched a few weeks ago.

9 hours ago, HairyChickens said:

I have backups of all of my files but because Windows is on that SSD im worried that ill lose that and I'm not sure how to backup that besides using acronis true image 2020 from an LTT video I watched a few weeks ago.

Either clone it to a new SSD, or re-install from scratch

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.