Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need RAM & iGPU OC'ing Guide

Here's my build:

CPU  - Ryzen 5 3400G

MoBo- Asrock B450M Pro4-f (BIOS ver: P1.60) <---not intended to update...

RAM  - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2*8=16gb DDR4 2400Mhz at timings of 16-16-16-39 (cmk8gx4m1a2400c16 - ver: 8.30)

PSU   - Antec VP550P Plus

SSD   - WD 120gb m.2

 

I tried to overclock my RAMs and got the speed of 2933Mhz at 1.35 volts with the timings of 18-18-18-39. This state got passed on MEMTEST but crashed on Cinebench R20. I can apply a volt of 1.35 maximum and it does not increase any more with the volts showing in red. Can I tweak it other way? What timings and clock should I apply with a suitable volt? Is it worth overclocking at all?

 

How should I overclock my iGPU with tweaked/default memory? I'm not intending on an excessive overclock. 1600/1650Mhz is where I'd like to go. Is it possible to oc iGPU with default RAM speed? Let say for 1650Mhz, what 'SOC Voltage (VID)' should I apply ? What 'GFX Core Voltage' should I apply? I tried 1650 with a 'GFX Core Voltage' of 1.175 and turned 'SOC Voltage (VID)' on to auto. (Note: the RAM was OC'd to previously mentioned states.) The graphics looked stable with 'Heaven' and '3DMark DEMO'. But I wasn't 100% sure on what I was doing... So I turned everything to default. 

 

Lastly, when I test with Cinebench R20, my CPU clocks goes upto 4.2Ghz and this is what called turbo boost i think is... Am I right? And I also see an increase of 'CPU VCore' on HW Monitor to 1.4-1.45 volts. Is 'CPU VCore' the same thing on the BIOS called 'Voltge (VID)'? Turning 'CPU frequency and voltage (VID) change' to manual shows 'Voltge (VID)' of 1.45 which seemed unnecessary to me therefore I changed it to 1.35 volts. After testing Cinebench R20 again, I found my clocks stuck on 3700Mhz. So, is turning 'Voltge (VID)' down made my turbo boost disabled?

  • I'm not curious to OC the CPU but would like to know a safe limit. And will it be safe keeping those default volts with turbo boost turned on?

101840085_137571477926938_6440985750266707968_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JOBisCOB said:

Can I tweak it other way?

Isnt the DRAM voltage limit 1.4v? But if tapping the + key doesnt raise it then that's as far as it will go. Try loosening out major timings other than CAS more, so like 18-22-22-42. You may be able to tighten tRCD a bit more than this but tRP has to stay loose on most sticks.

 

8 minutes ago, JOBisCOB said:

Is it possible to oc iGPU with default RAM speed? Let say for 1650Mhz, what 'SOC Voltage (VID)' should I apply ? What 'GFX Core Voltage' should I apply? I tried 1650 with a 'GFX Core Voltage' of 1.175 and turned 'SOC Voltage (VID)' on to auto. (Note: the RAM was OC'd to previously mentioned states.) The graphics looked stable with 'Heaven' and '3DMark DEMO'. But I wasn't 100% sure on what I was doing... So I turned everything to default. 

For Ryzen APUs currently sold, always do GPU overclocks last. iGPU voltage is not independent, it's tied to SOC voltage which affects memory overclocks heavily (unless you're limited by memory voltage, that you have to test). Since Ryzen APUs are heavily memory limited, do GPU OCs last after you've found out the stable memory settings you want to stay with

 

19 minutes ago, JOBisCOB said:

Lastly, when I test with Cinebench R20, my CPU clocks goes upto 4.2Ghz and this is what called turbo boost i think is... Am I right? And I also see an increase of 'CPU VCore' on HW Monitor to 1.4-1.45 volts. Is 'CPU VCore' the same thing on the BIOS called 'Voltge (VID)'? Turning 'CPU frequency and voltage (VID) change' to manual shows 'Voltge (VID)' of 1.45 which seemed unnecessary to me therefore I changed it to 1.35 volts. After testing Cinebench R20 again, I found my clocks stuck on 3700Mhz. So, is turning 'Voltge (VID)' down made my turbo boost disabled?

Leave VID on auto, you'd want to use loadline calibration (LLC) with manual OCs like this which means using manual Vcore, which overrides whatever you have in the VID.

 

In fact even when using PBO and offset voltage, tuning VID just doesnt have much known behaviour so just leave it on auto and use the proper voltage settings where you will find LLC.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Isnt the DRAM voltage limit 1.4v? But if tapping the + key doesnt raise it then that's as far as it will go. Try loosening out major timings other than CAS more, so like 18-22-22-42. You may be able to tighten tRCD a bit more than this but tRP has to stay loose on most sticks.

I disabled XMP and now the 'DRAM voltage' is not limited to 1.35v. I increased 'SOC Voltage' step by step to 1.225v for my RAM OC and found a stable speed of 3000Mhz and timings of 16-18-18-18-38 at 1.4v.

Is it safe increasing 'DRAM voltage' to 1.4v? And is this OC beneficial compared to the stock RAM speeds?

 

If I don't intend to OC my CPU, will iGPU Overclock work? What is the number should I apply on 'GFX Core Voltage' for let say 1650Mhz? (note: 'SOC Voltage' set to 1.225v)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JOBisCOB said:

I disabled XMP and now the 'DRAM voltage' is not limited to 1.35v. I increased 'SOC Voltage' step by step to 1.225v for my RAM OC and found a stable speed of 3000Mhz and timings of 16-18-18-18-38 at 1.4v.

Is it safe increasing 'DRAM voltage' to 1.4v? And is this OC beneficial compared to the stock RAM speeds?

 

If I don't intend to OC my CPU, will iGPU Overclock work? What is the number should I apply on 'GFX Core Voltage' for let say 1650Mhz? (note: 'SOC Voltage' set to 1.225v)

Too high SOC voltage can actually worsen memory OC, so be careful with it

 

Memory voltage can go higher but I dont think the board lets you go further. Higher is not always better for overclocking either

 

Yes it's beneficial, both COU and GPU prefer faster memory

 

Yes.

 

Leave it on auto as Ryzen does not have didicated voltage rail for GPU. As a result using GFX voltage can lead to unexpected behaviour (e.g. way too high SOC voltage)  and will not help with overclocking

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×