ASRock x570 Pro4 thoughts?

Hi

ASRock x570 Pro4 is on sale right now to put it as cheapest x570 on pcpartpicker Aus right now. Anyone have this? Are VRMs good? People say it's a bit barebones, would I get better feature set from a top tier b450 board?

Thanks

If you've got a great deal on it, go for it.

Its VRMs are better than anything you can get on B450 and I'd say offers the essentials - not a whole lot of bells and whistles but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's also the cheapest board to have Intel LAN if I'm not mistaken?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

would I get better feature set from a top tier b450 board?

No not really 

As @Mateyyy said 

If it's a good deal get it 

If it's cheap get it otherwise there isn't anything special about x570 

Other than dmi 4 and sli support usually they might have extra pwm fan headers or 5v ARGB headers etc but something like a tomhawk max has them and does the job but if the x570 pro4 is a good deal 

Then it won't hurt getting it ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No not really 

As @Mateyyy said 

If it's a good deal get it 

If it's cheap get it otherwise there isn't anything special about x570 

Other than dmi 4 and sli support usually they might have extra pwm fan headers or 5v ARGB headers etc but something like a tomhawk max has them and does the job but if the x570 pro4 is a good deal 

Then it won't hurt getting it ;)

@TofuHarotoWell it's about $70 more than a b450 tomahawk. By comparison, I could spend an extra $50 and get Asus x570 p which is apparently got the same VRM as their super expensive boards. Would you say the $70 is worth? I will be running a Ryzen 7 3700x

Just now, Jordy123 said:

Asus x570 p which is apparently got the same VRM as their super expensive boards.

It does have a 4 stage 8+2 phase power design 

It's pretty good but it depends 

What cpu are you getting ? 

If it's anything like an 8 core or less get a b450 tomhawk max if it's a 12 core and above then x570 boards with more robust vrm solution might be compelling

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

It does have a 4 stage 8+2 phase power design 

It's pretty good but it depends 

What cpu are you getting ? 

If it's anything like an 8 core or less get a b450 tomhawk max if it's a 12 core and above then x570 boards with more robust vrm solution might be compelling

@TofuHarotoI have a Ryzen 7 3700x on the way right now (got a bargain price). So maybe the B450 tomahawk? The upgradability of the x570 seems like it could be worth $70 though, because Ryzen 4000 is definitely the end of the line for B450. Also would the pcie gen 4 improve my GPU in any way?

Thanks

Just now, Jordy123 said:

Also would the pcie gen 4 improve my GPU in any way?

For the most part no not really

Just now, Jordy123 said:

So maybe the B450 tomahawk? The upgradability of the x570 seems like it could be worth $70 though, because Ryzen 4000 is definitely the end of the line for B450.

Ryzen 4000 will be the last pga 1331 lineup of cpu's so the x570 will also only support up to zen 3

But b450 will support zen 3 through a beta bios 

If you want and if you can wait for 8 days 

B550 will come out and it will support zen 3 and it will have dmi 4 (for some things ) 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

For the most part no not really

Ryzen 4000 will be the last pga 1331 lineup of cpu's so the x570 will also only support up to zen 3

But b450 will support zen 3 through a beta bios 

If you want and if you can wait for 8 days 

B550 will come out and it will support zen 3 and it will have dmi 4 (for some things ) 

@TofuHarotoI will likely skip Ryzen 4000 (won't upgrade for about 2-3 years) so I guess just buy the cheaper b450 as regardless, I will have to buy either an Intel or a new AMD board for my next upgrade?

I doubt B550 will reach Aus anytime soon (we still don't have 10th gen intel), nor do I expect it be that much cheaper (again, Australia pricing lmao). My mobo is my last part before I can build and I have uni holidays so kinda itching to get into it lol

Tysm for the help

12 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

, I will have to buy either an Intel or a new AMD board for my next upgrade?

Most likely yes zen 4 won't be on pga1331

12 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

will likely skip Ryzen 4000 (won't upgrade for about 2-3 years) so I guess just buy the cheaper b450 as regardless

Probably yes 

If you don't want sli and dmi 4 is useless in it's current state

Getting something like a tomhawk max will be great and it power delivery is still good and should handle an 8 core no problem

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Most likely yes zen 4 won't be on pga1331

Probably yes 

If you don't want sli and dmi 4 is useless in it's current state

Getting something like a tomhawk max will be great and it power delivery is still good and should handle an 8 core no problem

@TofuHarotoAlright sounds good. One last question (last one I promise lol) what is dmi 4?

Thanks again

9 minutes ago, Jordy123 said:

what is dmi 4?

Dmi 4 is basically (not 100% correct but this is an easy way of explaining it) is the link between the chipset and the cpu 

And the bandwidth that the chipset sends to let's say a x4 lane slot 

So dmi 4 has a link with the cpu which equals x4 lanes at pcie gen 4 etc 

Now b550 will have dmi 4 with the cpu but it won't have pcie 4 for the nvme slots etc 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Dmi 4 is basically (not 100% correct but this is an easy way of explaining it) is the link between the chipset and the cpu 

And the bandwidth that the chipset sends to let's say a x4 lane slot 

So dmi 4 has a link with the cpu which equals x4 lanes at pcie gen 4 etc 

Now b550 will have dmi 4 with the cpu but it won't have pcie 4 for the nvme slots etc 

Ohh yeah I've read about that. I will go with the B450 tomahawk.

Huge thankyou @TofuHarotofor your help!@Mateyyytoo