980TI under-performing/ weird performance

OllieJ_

So, I have a Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram and a 980ti (desktop). I'm new to high refresh rate gaming, and yes I've made sure windows is set to 144hz and up to date drivers.

I'm playing modern warfare a lot recently, and cannot, for the life of me, get it to 144hz. My ram never maxes out with several gigs of headroom so it isn't that. CPU fluctuates between 45 and 75% utilisation, and GPU pinning to 100% (in game reading VRAM Usage is less than 75% as well) . So it's a GPU bottleneck. Problem is, at minimum settings I'm getting between 70 and 150 fps (max staring at a rock) usually around the 100 fps range, with everything cranked to higher or ultra 60 to 100 fps (hovering around 70fps).

Benchmarks of modern warfare for both CPU and GPU seem to agree with the fps I'm getting at high / ultra settings. But benchmarks show I should get averages of 200+ fps with my hardware in modern warfare. And forgetting benchmarks, the drop in performance does not seem realistic considering the drop in visual fidelity between max and min settings (or conversely as I'm trying, the fps gains I'm getting by destroying graphic quality is pitiful) .

also in-game limits/targets are for 144hz so it isn't that. I've done a clean install of the game and I've even done a "reset this PC" through windows to uninstall everything and start again, to no avail. 

Anyone have any idea why I'm not getting much performance improvement even when I bring everything down/off to help out my gpu? 

Resolution? 

Note that MW is very CPU heavy. My guess is once you reduce graphics settings the CPU can't keep up.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2