Best AIO

Hey, so im looking at moving to an AIO from an intel stock cooler for a couple of reasons, 1:to look better, 2:better performance and 3:im changing to a new cpu so i need a new cooler. However i need a 120mm as my case does not support a 240.

So the ultimate question is what 120mm AIO would you recommend for LGA 1151?

120mm AIOs are often worse than a good air cooler, so the only reason to get one is the looks. Honestly, just get any from reputable manufacturers. NZXT, Corsair, Cooler Master, Silverstone, whatever. They're all about the same AFAIK. (a few degrees difference at most). You could buy nicer looking ones with displays on them (like NZXT Kraken) if you want good looks.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

120mm AIOs are usually very poor and most decent air coolers outperform them by a lot. Look at a Dark Rock Slim or Dark Rock 4

If you think a air cooler would be a good way to go what wold you recommend? and do noctua still sell the black coolers? 

25 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

120mm AIOs are often worse than a good air cooler, so the only reason to get one is the looks. Honestly, just get any from reputable manufacturers. NZXT, Corsair, Cooler Master, Silverstone, whatever. They're all about the same AFAIK. (a few degrees difference at most). You could buy nicer looking ones with displays on them (like NZXT Kraken) if you want good looks.

For an air cooler what would you recommend, i was thinking about a noctua NH U12S chromax.black

I've personally owned two Corsair AIO's (H80i GT and H100i), a handful of different air coolers from the likes of Noctua and Cooler Master, as well as a custom loop. In my experience the performance is as follows:

1. custom loop (by far)

2. Corsair H100i

3/4. Corsair H80i GT and HSF coolers (air coolers)

In terms of value, HSF coolers are hard to argue against. They can provide great performance at a good price and newer models are even stylish. However, poorly designed HSF brackets can lead to excess strain on your motherboard, they're more susceptible to heat spikes, and will increase the temperature inside your PC higher than other cooling solutions.

AIO's are the cleanest looking cooling solution, they're also near silent, and will keep your temperatures more stable. Because liquid is much denser than water, it takes longer sustained CPU loads to cause temperatures to rise. Thus, short spikes in CPU load wont cause your fans to ramp up, as temperatures won't be affected much. The downside of AIO's, aside from cost, is the possibility of failure. Leaking liquid is quite rare, other issues such as dead pumps or clogged tubes are certainly a possibility. I've never encountered them myself, which is why I'd implore you to buy from a reputable brand like Corsair, who has a great warranty period (because they believe in their products).

If you're stuck between a HSF cooler and a 120mm AIO I would tell you to consider cost and personal taste. If you prefer the look of an AIO, check out some of Corsair's 120mm options. If you're concerned about price and performance, you should know that a Noctua HSF will perform better than a similarly priced 120mm AIO. Neither option will perform poorly and neither will be a detriment to your CPU. Pick what fits you best.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

3 hours ago, 5M1FFY5 said:

Hey, so im looking at moving to an AIO from an intel stock cooler for a couple of reasons, 1:to look better, 2:better performance and 3:im changing to a new cpu so i need a new cooler. However i need a 120mm as my case does not support a 240.

So the ultimate question is what 120mm AIO would you recommend for LGA 1151?

If your case doesn't support 240mm rads, it is not a good idea to watercool it. If you have sufficient airflow, the Noctua NH-U12S will perform better than any 120mm AIO. Actually there is a video about air vs liquid on LTT youtube channel. You might want to check it out:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256