Excel CPU Usage 100%

Excel starts loading when I attempt to change anything on the workbook. CPU usage spikes to 100% and keeps loading. However if i click anywhere on the workbook ie. a cell. Everything automatically calculates and processes in an instant and drops the cpu usage spike as well as performs all new calculations instantaneously. 

I have a ryzen 7 3700x, windows, office, everything is up to date. Tried running in safe mode and disabled third party apps. Nothing seems to affect it.

If I do any action on the workbook it gets stuck in loading prompt until it shows Excel not responding screen. Yet if i click on the workbook after doing the same thing it instantly does 5k rows of calculations without hesitation. Im assuming its not a cpu problem since it still calculates everything in an instant if I just double click after each action. Which makes no sense to me.

Turn off auto calculations? 

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

38 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Turn off auto calculations? 

That does technically fix the issue but it should still auto calculate without issues.I appreciate the response though. It is a temporary fix and I can calculate the entire workbook every now and then but still searching for a permanent one.