i7-860 Overclock Gone Wrong

Hello there,

First post here, I almost sure this is the correct place for this post.

Well, I'll explain the title. I had an old i7-860 and a Intel DP55WB that I got in exchange for my PS3. Since it wasn't my main system, I lend it to a friend that was still using a Pentium D. He asked me if he could make some OC and I said yeah. Problem starts when he tells me that the Motherboard may be dead or bricked, since he tried BCLK OC, as he saw in the BIOS that changing the value could get him to 6+GHz. Obviously after restarting the PC would not boot. He tried everything to fix it. 

• Clear CMOS
  • Take out the battery
  • Change RAM
  • Change CPU
  • Change PSU

Nothing worked, we tried with 3 different PSUs, and with an i3 530 on the motherboard. The i7 worked fine on another motherboard.

The thing is I believe the mobo is still alive, just bricked. The board has a tiny LED that turns on everytime its connected to power, but when you go to short the pins to power up, it does nothing at all.

I was wondering if I should have any hope in reviving the motherboard. The i7 may come in handy now since I'm using a i5-3570 as daily driver and I want something better.

Sorry if my English in cringey, I'm still learning :)

Thanks if you can help!

I don't think so

and do you know why he tried to make a chip from 2009 do 6ghz

2 minutes ago, Nick Neuburg said:

and do you know why he tried to make a chip from 2009 do 6ghz

I'm supposing he just got excited, altough he's kinda new to overclocking and PCs to.

3 minutes ago, Nick Neuburg said:

I don't think so

So you think the mobo's dead then?