Controlling a 3pin case fan

harriizz

I have a 3pin case fan but the only problem is,it always runs at max speed,3365 RPM it sounds like airplane is going thru my room.So i wanted to lower the speed and i saw some people saying u need to put the DC MODE for it in bios and lower that,pnly thing i could find is q fan control and it only has speeds : silent,standard,turbo.Silent is 3330 RPM so its as loud and some things like "fan duty cycle" or like that but no setting like DC MODE.Maybe im putting it in wrong connector on mobo.I put it into 4pin connector on mothsrboard because i couldnt find any other.Please help me

What mobo? You could use software controls like SpeedFan. 3pin and 4pin headers are intercompatible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

What mobo? You could use software controls like SpeedFan. 3pin and 4pin headers are intercompatible.

Asus H81m-R.I tried speedfan but couldnt get it to work,maybe u guys have some tips

8 minutes ago, harriizz said:

Asus H81m-R.I tried speedfan but couldnt get it to work,maybe u guys have some tips

HaHave yyou tried using Asus Fan Xpert ? SpeedFan requires some tricks. Jayz2Cents has good guide for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

newer motherboard only have 4 pin headers and most cant DC mode. you will need external fan controller for it like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Almencla-Cooling-Controller-Temperature-Control/dp/B07PRC4RW2

or putting in a resitor. which will make it a fixed speed but can reduce it due to reducing the voltage to the fan, how much depends on the resitor

7 hours ago, Ajukrezi said:

newer motherboard only have 4 pin headers and most cant DC mode. you will need external fan controller for it like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Almencla-Cooling-Controller-Temperature-Control/dp/B07PRC4RW2

or putting in a resitor. which will make it a fixed speed but can reduce it due to reducing the voltage to the fan, how much depends on the resitor

Do you maybe know some tutorial how to do that 

1 hour ago, harriizz said:

Newer motherboards can't handle DC mode? Every motherboard I had (not OEM) supported switching from PWM to DC on 4-pin headers. Must be a very cheap motherboard not to do that :)

On 6/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, Ajukrezi said:

Half of this is misinformation. Unless mobo doesn't have any controller chips, you can't control 3pin fans on older mobos (from 2012 onwards). On newer mobos, like last 3 generations, you can control both 3pin and 4pin on pretty much any consumer desktop board. Some lower end stuff is exception.

The controller linked is one option, but not something I would go or. There are software based controllers, and better hardware controllers. Last part is correct.

23 hours ago, harriizz said:

Here's my old post about setting Speedfan up

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Half of this is misinformation. Unless mobo doesn't have any controller chips, you can't control 3pin fans on older mobos (from 2012 onwards). On newer mobos, like last 3 generations, you can control both 3pin and 4pin on pretty much any consumer desktop board. Some lower end stuff is exception.

The controller linked is one option, but not something I would go or. There are software based controllers, and better hardware controllers. Last part is correct.

Here's my old post about setting Speedfan up

ohh newer boards do support 3 pin?
i did not know that, it was kindof phased out back in the old days. so i must admit everytime i saw 4 i expected it to be PWN only. well my daily driver is also old AF :) still rocking sandy bridge

20 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

ohh newer boards do support 3 pin?
i did not know that, it was kindof phased out back in the old days. so i must admit everytime i saw 4 i expected it to be PWN only. well my daily driver is also old AF :) still rocking sandy bridge

There was also phase where mobos had 4pin headers without PWM control. Like my current board.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, harriizz said:

I have a 3pin case fan but the only problem is,it always runs at max speed,3365 RPM it sounds like airplane is going thru my room.So i wanted to lower the speed and i saw some people saying u need to put the DC MODE for it in bios and lower that,pnly thing i could find is q fan control and it only has speeds : silent,standard,turbo.Silent is 3330 RPM so its as loud and some things like "fan duty cycle" or like that but no setting like DC MODE.Maybe im putting it in wrong connector on mobo.I put it into 4pin connector on mothsrboard because i couldnt find any other.Please help me

On 6/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, harriizz said:

these are my fav. at newegg    EnLabs TX3CO8S             I put them in a lot of builds  I tried the other ones  and did no like them ..

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

There was also phase where mobos had 4pin headers without PWM control. Like my current board.

What? That doesn't make much sense. What were the engineers thinking?

On 6/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, harriizz said:

There are 2 pays to drive fans: PWM signal or DC modulation. PWM gives a pulsed signal that determines the fan speed, DC modulation lowers the voltage from 12V down to control the fan speed. If your mainboard is set for PWM it gives 12V VCC on Pin 2 which leads to full speed on a DC controlled 3-pin fan. 

3-Pin Fan
3 Yellow: TACH Signal
2 Red: VCC +12V
1 Black: GND

4-Pin Fan
4 Blue: PWM Signal (+5V pulsed)
3 Green: TACH Signal
2 Yellow: VCC +12V
1 Black: GND

Every mainboard I had in the past years had the option to switch between PWM and DC mode for the fan control. Obviously this doesn't mean that all have to have this option. Go to the website of your mobo manufacturer, download the manual as a PDF and just search for PWM. You WILL find information regarding the fans. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!