Compact atx case for only(?) at mobo+psu

Go to solution Solved by GrimOfDoom,

I guess I will just go with the Thermaltake Core P3. It is a bit larger on the height and depth, but it is an easy to work in case, and gives me an excuse to water cool when new RTX and Ryzen come out (Currently on 2700x). I am ever surprised there isn't more in the effort of compact & minimum when more and more people are going drive-less and just m.2

Does anyone have any suggestions for a compact computer case? I currently have a b450 atx motherboard and atx power supply, on a custom never finished (and 80% likely to never be finished) open air shell. It works, but because it’s unfinished, it takes a ton of room due to being flat on table, and psu has nothing holding it on and the GPU has nothing to brave itself with. using only m.2 for storage, and a slot open that will be filled soon + pci room; so I don’t really need any 5.25/3.5/2.5” bays now or future (old large computer may eventually be turned into intranet storage, so even less need for those).

And yes it is properly on risers and screwed in properly.

3CFD7E4F-8E02-4FC3-B95A-F3F07C0681FE.jpeg

how compact do you need?

There's "not large" and then there's "somewhat small"

This is compatible, but with some poor airflow. Still, if volume is what you care about most, it's a good contender.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jG7v6h/cooler-master-masterbox-q500l-atx-mid-tower-case-mcb-q500l-kann-s00

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

you can easily finish that case, move the motherboard to an edge or cut half off it off so PCIE slots can keep their covers on.

PSU can be mounted with some L brackets at what would be the back then a metal loop with screws on the ends will keep the other side inplace

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Getting an L bracket would definitely be easy, Home Depot is stock full of them (originally grabbed some for a 2.5" SSD I was using, but I didn't like the test fit look at was not easy to drill holes for screws). The harder part is supporting the GPU, as the Zotac RTX 2060 seams to do too much sag- it scares me to think of leaving it by itself.

That case does seam nice on the lower volume - though the air flow does seam like it will be trash, specially since I am using air cooling. It is in my pile to consider, as I read some reviews say they just cut holes in the metal to let more air through; but a case of the same size and better cooling would overtake it easily if found.

I guess I will just go with the Thermaltake Core P3. It is a bit larger on the height and depth, but it is an easy to work in case, and gives me an excuse to water cool when new RTX and Ryzen come out (Currently on 2700x). I am ever surprised there isn't more in the effort of compact & minimum when more and more people are going drive-less and just m.2