Bluetooth Dialer Thing? Is that a thing?

Hi. I want to know if there is such a thing as a device which looks like a traditional home telephone, but uses bluetooth to call off a cell phone. 

I want to use a very cheap unlimited talk plan in a smartphone, but keep the phone somewhere safe, plugged in to a charger and left undisturbed, and present my old parents with something they are more familiar with. They would dial like normal on a phone, but it would use the cell phone to make the call.

I think there are some more advanced cordless home phones that offer that option, to connect to a smartphone and then the cordless phones ring and call out over that connection, but I don't know of any specific models, and I would prefer something simpler like a basic looking phone that connects over bluetooth.

And yes, I realize the smartphone will need to update or reboot once in a while, I live with my parents so I can handle that, I just want something they can interface with easily when I am not there and they need to place a call.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

Hi. I want to know if there is such a thing as a device which looks like a traditional home telephone, but uses bluetooth to call off a cell phone. 

I want to use a very cheap unlimited talk plan in a smartphone, but keep the phone somewhere safe, plugged in to a charger and left undisturbed, and present my old parents with something they are more familiar with. They would dial like normal on a phone, but it would use the cell phone to make the call.

I think there are some more advanced cordless home phones that offer that option, to connect to a smartphone and then the cordless phones ring and call out over that connection, but I don't know of any specific models, and I would prefer something simpler like a basic looking phone that connects over bluetooth.

And yes, I realize the smartphone will need to update or reboot once in a while, I live with my parents so I can handle that, I just want something they can interface with easily when I am not there and they need to place a call.

Thank you!

KISS.

Is there a particular reason traditional land-lines don't work in this situation?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

KISS.

Is there a particular reason traditional land-lines don't work in this situation?

Basically, our home phone option from Suddenlink is $34.99/mo on top of what we pay for cable and internet.

I know Magic Jack and other options exist but I find them unreliable when internet is unreliable. A cell phone can use VoLTE but it can also use older 3G/2G voice calls when needed. Also, I plan to sign up for Altice Mobile's $20 unlimited plan with an S10 handset, which will do many things at once for the $32.50 a month ($20 service + $12.50 handset payment):

• Home phone with the best quality (vs Magic Jack or expensive POTS with Suddenlink)
  • Home internet backup option (Unlimited hotspot limited to 1 MBPS per device, not great but for a once in a while backup it works)
  • DeX computing for me (I already use DeX on my desk for an extra screen to watch YouTube on, so this will be a great way to offset my streaming at my desk to a different internet connection the majority of the time when our Suddenlink home internet IS working.

As seems to be fairly typical for this forum, no one has responded with anything helpful. I've researched this myself and I ended up buying this model. In case anyone else finds this thread in the future, here is at least one solution I found.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRV1KC4/

I will post an update once I have received and set up everything. Hopefully this works the way I want it to.