Uninstall old drivers before i put in my new graphics card?

LulzLaw

Heya,

I never switched my graphics card but now i wanted to upgrade. My current card is the GTX 1060 and my new is the RTX 2080S 

Do i need to uninstall my old graphics card drivers before i switch my cards or just stick the new one in and install the drivers afterwards?

yes uninstall else you will get black screen after the window logo 

AFAIK,  That's only needed if you switch manufacturers (from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa). But a quick DDU and then install a new driver won't take a lot of time.

Depends, i didn't and nothing went wrong but it's good practice to ddu 

26 minutes ago, Peter M21 said:

yes uninstall else you will get black screen after the window logo 

No no no WHY?! 

NO if it's  a different company then yes he will have to but it's the same GPU  lineup made by nvidea 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

35 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No no no WHY?! 

NO if it's  a different company then yes he will have to but it's the same GPU  lineup made by nvidea 

I recently installed a gtx 1660 over my old gtx 750 ti keep the same drive it only boots up to the window screen then everything goes black and i troubleshooted and that is why 

and not all NVIDIA card uses the same driver that's why when you go manually download it ask you for the series and the exact GPU model   

1 minute ago, Peter M21 said:

I recently installed a gtx 1660 over my old gtx 750 ti keep the same drive it only boots up to the window screen then everything goes black and i troubleshooted and that is why 

and not all NVIDIA card uses the same driver that's why when you go manually download it ask you for the series and the exact GPU model   

Well if the drivers are old (Kepler age ) of course it won't work lol

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Well if the drivers are old (Kepler age ) of course it won't work lol

yeah, but he doesn't have to swap the graphic card like 3 times if it doesn't work