One of my front usb3 ports only sees my usb-stick nothing else.

KuroiBullen

So I've had this problem for a while now:

The right side usb3.0 port on my 460x case only works properly on my 32gb verbatim usb stick and nothing else is recognized. Not a mouse, keyboard, OTHER usb stick (tried multiple), and my phone doesn't charge when plugged into that one. The usb port next to it works with everything. I've tried it with only something plugged into that usb port and nothing else (didnt work). nothing comes up in device manager (even in hidden devices, no yellow triangles, nothing and yes i have tried the "search for new devices" button or whatever and it didnt work). Updated windows, didnt work. Uninstalled all usb drivers, didnt work. All other usb ports on the motherboard work. Usb3.0 is properly plugged into the board, quadruple checked. I have a 4gb usb-stick that does show a light when plugged into the port but absolutely nothing else comes up, nor does it show in disk management. My phone doesnt charge, my friends phone doesnt charge, but my apple watch does! BIOS is the latest version for my board.

So things that work: one 32gig usb stick works flawlessly, apple watch charger works.

Things that don't: pretty much everything else i tried.

Is this like some voltage thing or something because if it is i have no idea how to fix it. though isnt it a bit weird that one usb stick works and a dozen dont? i tried another verbatim stick btw and that didnt work either only the one does.

I cant recall when it exactly stopped working but im pretty sure it was when i took my iphone off it. (could have been the 32gb stick i mentioned above) I usually have had my phone plugged into that port. I use it to share internet with my pc.

Specs of my PC if it helps...:

Asus z170 pro gaming

i7 6700k 4.6ghz

16gb (2x8gb) hyperx savage 2133mhz

asus rtx 2070 evo

noctua nhd15

corsair rm750x 

corsair 460x crystal case

a couple of 1tb drives and a 250gb samsung ssd

and an assortment of fans and an led strip.

Windows 10 1909 64bit

Happy to provide all the necessary info i am able to.

Is this front port plugged into the same motherboard header as the other front port?  Is there anything unusual physically about the devices that do work vs the devices that don’t? (Shorter pins, made of a different material, etc..?)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, Bombastinator said:

Is this front port plugged into the same motherboard header as the other front port?  Is there anything unusual physically about the devices that do work vs the devices that don’t? (Shorter pins, made of a different material, etc..?)

The port shares the connector with the other port on the front. The usb sticks all seem relatively similar but could it be that the verbatim stick is usb3 and the others usb2? i dont know how that would be relevant to my phone charging though... the usb stick that WORKS works completely normally without any issues, and the apple watch charger charges at the normal rate. anything else doesnt work, charge, or show up in my computer.