Is DRAM Cache this important ?

scoza16

HELLO EVERYONE

i plan to get a new ssd and the problem is that i live in a country where we can't buy things online ( amazon ebay ) and the prices here are insane ( kingston 240gb a400 for 80 $ ) so i was wondering on the dram cache ( i don"t really understand what it does ) so for example : i can get one adata su800 m2 248gb (with dram ) for about 100$ or an adata su650 240gb ( without dram ) for about 60$ , i know the prices are crazy , third world problems 

ps : i don't have acces to crucial mx500 , the only dram ssd that i found is the one i mentioned below and a 480gb teamgroup lite 5 ( it says it has dram cache and costs about 110$ ) so what do you think guys ? btw sorry i'm not a native english speaker 

UPDATE : the teamgroup is not longer available :(

if you can afford the teamgroup lite 5, go for that. it has dram cache and it's twice the size of the su800. i think it's your best option.

to answer your question, the dram cache makes it faster. for general pc use and gaming it won't make a huge difference. for video editing, transferring large files etc it will.

Depends on the actual SSD model, check reviews.

But yeah it can, I've previously had a DRAMless SSD and it basically had worse performance than an HDD.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you can afford the teamgroup lite 5, go for that. it has dram cache and it's twice the size of the su800. i think it's your best option.

to answer your question, the dram cache makes it faster. for general pc use and gaming it won't make a huge difference. for video editing, transferring large files etc it will.

thanks for the reply , unfortunally the teamgroup is no longer available 

Isn't A400 and SU650(or was it the 635?) one of the worst(unreliable) SSD's one can buy?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Not having a DRAM cache could hurt both performance, particularly in heavy tasks, but also its lifespan/reliability.

If the Teamgroup drive is no longer in stock, I'd say go for the SU800.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Ralf said:

Isn't A400 and SU650(or was it the 635?) one of the worst(unreliable) SSD's one can buy?

I know but don't have large choice here ,and like i said i don't have acces to amazon/ebay , what about wd green ? 

36 minutes ago, scoza16 said:

UPDATE : the teamgroup is not longer available :(

is the PNY CS900 an option?

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

is the PNY CS900 an option?

First look i think it's available , but i have to contact the vendor , price are between 80 to 100$ for 240gb , does it have dram cache ?

27 minutes ago, scoza16 said:

First look i think it's available , but i have to contact the vendor , price are between 80 to 100$ for 240gb , does it have dram cache ?

it has dram cache, but its among the lower end of dram cache models. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

it has dram cache, but its among the lower end of dram cache models. 

Okay and i've found a kingston v300 240gb ,, what do you think about it ?

11 minutes ago, scoza16 said:

Okay and i've found a kingston v300 240gb ,, what do you think about it ?

dram-less SSD. 

nothing special. id rather pick up a BX500. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

dram-less SSD. 

nothing special. id rather pick up a BX500. 

Thanks , i think i'm goind with m2 su800 from adata 

Last question : it is compatible with my mobo ? Msi b150 Gaming m3 , on the website of adata it don't show but it is a sata m2 and my mobo has a sata m2 so ?

1 minute ago, scoza16 said:

Thanks , i think i'm goind with m2 su800 from adata 

Last question : it is compatible with my mobo ? Msi b150 Gaming m3 , on the website of adata it don't show but it is a sata m2 and my mobo has a sata m2 so ?

if your board has m.2 sata, and the SSD is m.2 sata, then it will work fine. 

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if your board has m.2 sata, and the SSD is m.2 sata, then it will work fine. 

even if i my mobo is not listed on the adata site for compatibility ?

5 minutes ago, scoza16 said:

even if i my mobo is not listed on the adata site for compatibility ?

yep. 

its sata. its just a standard protocol.