Should I upgrade the Cpu?

Hi, 

I wanted to ask if I Should upgrade my cpu? I was thinking to only add extra ram but if it's better to upgrade the cpu and keep it for 4/5 years then i would rather upgrade the cpu than to add only extra ram. i know that upgrading the cpu i will have to change mobo and ram. I mostly use my pc to edit video's whe i have time i play some games, GEAR 5 and City skylines.

i'm open for intel or AMD

CPU: i5-8400 2.8ghz coffee lake

Mobo: B360-A-PRO (MS-7B22)

RAM: DDR4 16GB 

GRAPHIC CARD: GTX 1060 6 GB

upgrade the cpu yes. probably the mobo too, go AM4 for the best profromance overall. 

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish...if you want better video editing, then something with more cores makes sense but to keep your current board you'd need to step up to a 9700 or 9900 and both of those are pricey upgrades and you'd be able to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700x and a good B450 Board for similar money.  However, if video editing is your primary concern, then go another couple steps above a 3700X and get a 3900X with an X570 board.  It will last you the time frame you're looking for.  You probably won't notice a ton of difference in the gaming side of things but the video editing will be significantly faster.

However, if you goal is better gaming performance, the a graphics card is a better upgrade.  If you're a 1080p gaming then a 2060 or 5600Xt is the way to go, 1440p then a 2060 Super, 5700 XT or 2070 Super depending on your budget.  Then consider the CPU upgrade if you're still not happy.

Consultant by day, terrible youtuber by night.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDDr_uxt6MSeUTsd8hmDOXw