Do people actually buy ultra-expensive laptops?

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

have you seen the failure rate of macs from stupid design

lets put data and a high voltage backlit power right next to each other. Can't buy a charge controller. T2 chips just randomly fail and then you lose all data.

Typically you'll see MBP with near top end specs for mobile video editor

I know there was the butterfly thing and after a while on older models like 2011/12 the screen cable wasn't the most durable thing in the world but aside from that recently I haven't heard many major complaints. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

29 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Kinda ruins the point of a laptop though if you can't use it, well, as a laptop. 

Sometimes they get used as space savers, again with the same suggestion as before, in a uni dorm room. Or in the case of my friend, not enough space in her workshop.

But if you don't need the horses you can just buy a regular laptop and you can get very capable NUCs now.

True, but you don't get a keyboard, mouse, and screen with them like you do a laptop. You also need to buy and add ram, storage, and an OS. Not to mention, NUC's still aren't as powerful as a roided out laptop. A thicc boi could easily be used to render 4k footage, encode it, etc all while typing up a script (as an example). Unless I'm out of the loop, you can't do that on a NUC.

Generally think the market is made up of people who want to game on them not realising they're not great for that. I know a few people with 15 and 17" gaming laptops and they never use them and on the rare occasion they do it's plugged into a wall at their desk. They could have literally just bought a desktop for less and gotten better performance. Because to be frank when you have the big gaming laptops you essentially need to take a hold all's worth stuff to game with it. The laptop itself isn't light then you have to take the power brick/s then there's a mouse + controller and headset and by the time you've got all that a decent sized backpack is full and you have no space left for anything else.

The thing is, it's all still portable. At the very least, you need a mouse and headset in addition to a thicc power brick. Even a smaller desktop would be a huge pain in the ass to travel with. I can't imagine flying with a more delicate mini itx pc, thinking of how the gpu, pice slot, and cpu cooler would fair during transit. With a desktop, even a tiny one, you still need keyboard, mouse, headset, and monitor. Yes, a desktop, even of small stature, is and always will be more powerful than even the thiccest of bois. But the thicc bois have the advantage of being way more transportable and usable. Remember, you need to set all that stuff up when traveling with a desktop. You couldn't even use it on a plane, or in the coffee shop. Whereas the laptop you just open it, and turn it on. Plug it into the wall and by that time, you're booted on the desktop of Windows and you're off to the races.

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Sometimes they get used as space savers, again with the same suggestion as before, in a uni dorm room. Or in the case of my friend, not enough space in her workshop.

True, but you don't get a keyboard, mouse, and screen with them like you do a laptop. You also need to buy and add ram, storage, and an OS. Not to mention, NUC's still aren't as powerful as a roided out laptop. A thicc boi could easily be used to render 4k footage, encode it, etc all while typing up a script (as an example). Unless I'm out of the loop, you can't do that on a NUC.

The thing is, it's all still portable. At the very least, you need a mouse and headset in addition to a thicc power brick. Even a smaller desktop would be a huge pain in the ass to travel with. I can't imagine flying with a more delicate mini itx pc, thinking of how the gpu, pice slot, and cpu cooler would fair during transit. With a desktop, even a tiny one, you still need keyboard, mouse, headset, and monitor. Yes, a desktop, even of small stature, is and always will be more powerful than even the thiccest of bois. But the thicc bois have the advantage of being way more transportable and usable. Remember, you need to set all that stuff up when traveling with a desktop. You couldn't even use it on a plane, or in the coffee shop. Whereas the laptop you just open it, and turn it on. Plug it into the wall and by that time, you're booted on the desktop of Windows and you're off to the races.

Just saying I had a desktop in my dorm room ;)

The newest Intel NUC isn't as small as it once was by a fair margin but can house a full fat GPU up to 8" and a i9-9980HK. You could also have a fair go on the Hades canyon with Vega M graphics. 

But you can't use it while travelling. You'd be better off buying an ultrabook which isn't quiet as powerful but can still be used on a plane and charged on a plane because they'll take 75W whereas a beefy laptop won't. People can actually edit and render video on MBPs on a plane and be fine for example, wouldn't be able to do that with a gaming laptop. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Just saying I had a desktop in my dorm room ;)

Same...Had my desktop in a 9m² room. 

27 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Just saying I had a desktop in my dorm room

Twas an example. But my friend's use case is very real world.

27 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The newest Intel NUC isn't as small as it once was by a fair margin but can house a full fat GPU up to 8" and a i9-9980HK. You could also have a fair go on the Hades canyon with Vega M graphics.

Ah. So I do stand corrected. A NUC can do as much as a thicc boi laptop. But again, You need to buy ram, gpu, storage, and an OS. Not to mention, a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. But as for space savers, they are quite small, even compared to most laptops anyway. So it wins there.

But you can't use it while travelling. You'd be better off buying an ultrabook which isn't quiet as powerful but can still be used on a plane and charged on a plane because they'll take 75W whereas a beefy laptop won't. People can actually edit and render video on MBPs on a plane and be fine for example, wouldn't be able to do that with a gaming laptop. 

Sure you can! Just disable the dedicated gpu, downclock and undervolt the cpu, turn down the screen brightness, put Windows into power-saver mode, and you can easily use it for quite a few hours on battery. While, that is all a hassle, you can still at least use it while on the move compared to the NUC or tiny desktop. But even I'll admit, it'd be way less of a hassle to just use a Macbook.

Although, not everyone wants a MBP, and sometimes their workflow or software they use doesn't work well or run on OSX. Unless I'm thinking of older models, I recall seeing creator-esque benchmarks where the Macbooks take a lot longer to finish a render, encode, etc. If I'm still remembering correctly, this was impart due to poor cooling on Apple's part. I feel like I've seen these in LTT videos. But, perhaps that's changed on the newer ones. I'm not claiming to know for sure here. But gaming on a Macbook? Not too good for that. 

Compared to the thicc bois of yesteryear, the thicc bois of today are quite a lot slimmer, run cooler, and some don't need those power bricks the size of Linus's ego to run at full tilt. Like the Asus ROG Zephyrus line. Way slimmer than their ancestors, way more powerful, and have pretty good battery life for what they pack. But again, even I'll admit Apple has some of the best battery life, from the reviews I've watched. If one travels very frequently, they'd probs be better off playing in Apple's backyard.

I'm not trying to argue strictly for a fat Windows laptop. I'm trying to see both sides of it. But again, they still have their own pros, despite the cons. A mathematical amount of people have a use case for them. As otherwise they wouldn't be sold anymore.

27 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Twas an example. But my friend's use case is very real world.

Ah. So I do stand corrected. A NUC can do as much as a thicc boi laptop. But again, You need to buy ram, gpu, storage, and an OS. Not to mention, a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. But as for space savers, they are quite small, even compared to most laptops anyway. So it wins there.

Sure you can! Just disable the dedicated gpu, downclock and undervolt the cpu, turn down the screen brightness, put Windows into power-saver mode, and you can easily use it for quite a few hours on battery. While, that is all a hassle, you can still at least use it while on the move compared to the NUC or tiny desktop. But even I'll admit, it'd be way less of a hassle to just use a Macbook.

Although, not everyone wants a MBP, and sometimes their workflow or software they use doesn't work well or run on OSX. Unless I'm thinking of older models, I recall seeing creator-esque benchmarks where the Macbooks take a lot longer to finish a render, encode, etc. If I'm still remembering correctly, this was impart due to poor cooling on Apple's part. I feel like I've seen these in LTT videos. But, perhaps that's changed on the newer ones. I'm not claiming to know for sure here. But gaming on a Macbook? Not too good for that. 

Compared to the thicc bois of yesteryear, the thicc bois of today are quite a lot slimmer, run cooler, and some don't need those power bricks the size of Linus's ego to run at full tilt. Like the Asus ROG Zephyrus line. Way slimmer than their ancestors, way more powerful, and have pretty good battery life for what they pack. But again, even I'll admit Apple has some of the best battery life, from the reviews I've watched. If one travels very frequently, they'd probs be better off playing in Apple's backyard.

I'm not trying to argue strictly for a fat Windows laptop. I'm trying to see both sides of it. But again, they still have their own pros, despite the cons. A mathematical amount of people have a use case for them. As otherwise they wouldn't be sold anymore.

Macbooks generally take longer when not using apples software and generally those benchmarks are people trying to say MacBook's are shit in a not very honest way. Why would you use adobe over final cut for example, you just wouldn't. LTT don't have a clue about Macs in general I wouldn't take anything they say about a Mac seriously. For example saying the MBA with a dual core can't multitask, that isn't exactly true for windows machines but a dual core MBA will do anything you ask of it day to day compute wise, obviously it's not gonna be able to render anything but that's not what it's meant for.  

They have their own pros and cons but aside from extremely niche cases people shouldn't buy the chunky gaming laptops.

16 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

For example saying the MBA with a dual core can't multitask, that isn't exactly true for windows machines but a dual core MBA will do anything you ask of it day to day compute wise, obviously it's not gonna be able to render anything but that's not what it's meant for.  

That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all MBAs to come with at least a quad core in 2020. This is the Mac that most university students would be going for if they choose the Mac route. You see those things a lot in computing science and math departments so some additional compute power would be welcomed.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I think they are largely released as halo products. They don't expect to sell many, but they do expect them to help sell their more modestly priced models. Their use cases are niche, but there are some people who will legitimately find they are the best PC to meet their needs, mostly people who find themselves working out of hotel rooms a lot. 

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all MBAs to come with at least a quad core in 2020. This is the Mac that most university students would be going for if they choose the Mac route. You see those things a lot in computing science and math departments so some additional compute power would be welcomed.

To be fair if you're coding at that level you don't need a ton of grunt. Most of those departments have their own computer labs with actual workstations for that use. I know the labs at mine were all i7s and quadros. I had a MacBook Air that my fiancée has now and it works fine for general use, writing notes, watching things, browsing etc.