New build not POSTing - DRAM error. Could my motherboard or CPU be dead on arrival? AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI MPG X570

KB12

I am having an issue where my new build will not POST and shows a solid DRAM LED on the debug section of the motherboard. The PSU and motherboard fans spin for maybe a quarter of a second and then nothing.

To troubleshoot, I removed the motherboard from the case and constructed it outside. I tried the RAM in every available slot/configuration, then bought another set of RAM and tried the same thing with no result.

Eventually I tried another PSU and noticed the heatsink fan/power supply fan would keep running if I plugged in the motherboard power but did not plug in the 8-pin CPU power cable. In this instance, the motherboard obviously would still not POST (showing the CPU LED on the debug), but the DRAM error LED was gone. This happened with both PSUs I tried, although only one of them continued to spin the heatsink and PSU fans with CPU error when the CPU power was disconnected (presumably just a difference in design?). I have also taken the battery out to reset the CMOS and removed and reseated the CPU/heatsink to no avail. I had a look at the CPU and there are no damaged pins, and I was careful to ground myself frequently when handling so I don’t think it’s that.

Given the above, I’m inclined to think either the motherboard or the CPU is faulty (I’m leaning more towards the motherboard at this point). Does that sound right? Is there anything I might have missed?

Parts list include:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS AMD AM4 ATX Gaming Motherboard

First set of memory tried: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Second set of memory tried: G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200

GPU (disconnected for tests): MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC 8GB GPU

Power Supply: Gigabyte AORUS AP750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Yeah I'd return the motherboard and get a new one.

It's already very weird that the motherboard was able to go through the boot sequence and detect a problem with the RAM and then suddenly detects a problem with the CPU, even tho before it was able to go through that process.

This may be a dumb comment. But. You say the GPU is disconnected for tests. The 3700X doesn't have an integrated GPU. So even if you plug your screen into the motherboard's HDMI/DP port, nothing will show up on the screen and it won't POST.

So, have you tried booting with the GPU installed and the screen plugged into the GPU?

1 minute ago, goldenf said:

This may be a dumb comment. But. You say the GPU is disconnected for tests. The 3700X doesn't have an integrated GPU. So even if you plug your screen into the motherboard's HDMI/DP port, nothing will show up on the screen and it won't POST.

So, have you tried booting with the GPU installed and the screen plugged into the GPU?

Yes - I tried that first while it was all installed in the case, and then tried installing the GPU again for good measure when I assembled it outside the case - same result