Arctic Cooling Freezer 7X

Aniallation

arctic_freezer_7_x.thumb.jpg.3ab9ce85df61aca360a2f6cd05afd759.jpg

I went into Memory Express looking for a can of compressed air and an SSD the other day and saw that they had a new Arctic cooler that seems to replace the Freezer 7 Pro. It was cheap enough ($25 Canadian dollars) and I thought it looked really pretty so I thought I'd buy it for my other PC that's kicking in the house.

The cooler uses a 92mm fan so it is quite short and should fit in pretty much all tower cases without needing to worry about height restrictions. It uses the standard AMD 2-clips design to attach using the standard brackets that come with the boards, so it is compatible with everything from AM2 all the way up to AM4 on the AMD side, and includes a bracket to adapt an Intel board to this design from 775 up to supposedly the newest 1200 according to the manufacturer.

20200528_173451.thumb.jpg.f35bbca815cd078d8553778e13fdb46c.jpg

The PC in question is an FX-6300 system that had been using the much denser and heatpiped AMD stock cooler from an 8320 (the 6300 stock cooler went in the trash as soon as I opened the box, as that thing belongs on an Athlon X2). It was enough for me to have overclocked it to the 6300's normal boost clock of 4.1GHz on all cores and still maintain acceptable temperatures under load - 59-60c in IBT viewed via HWMonitor. However, as the stock AMD fan ramps up to over 5000rpm under full load, it really is the leaf blower that everyone stereotypes it to be.

20200525_213656.thumb.jpg.ade99fc41e58ae64aff54d6cd23279a1.jpg

With the Freezer 7X installed, load temperatures dropped drastically enough that I was able to get the chip to 4.4GHz @ 1.4V (would not POST at any higher frequency, regardless of voltage or if I used fsb) and it under the same tests, it was still only sitting at 52-53c. On top of that of course, it is MUCH quieter. 100% fan speed sounds like idle on the stock cooler, and idle with the Arctic it is inaudible next to every other fan in the PC.

Untitled.thumb.png.34c38a3d02402cea9cd4c733459fbe5d.png

While I was at it, I decided that if I didn't want to start a fire with overclocking on this already sketchy board, I should probably do something about the VRMs. I ordered this pack of assorted heatsinks on Amazon designed to be used with Raspberry Pi for 14 bucks and tacked them onto the VRMs with the pre-applied double sided thermal tape, then rigged up a 40mm fan I had lying around to circulate some air over them as I was no longer using a downdraft cooler.

20200528_130322.thumb.jpg.993b547794bb0cffa2c19d3caa328859.jpg  20200528_173521.thumb.jpg.a124d0976f85b82b7d8219d422fd0c7a.jpg

Overall not a bad upgrade to this old rig for less than $40 Canadian dollars, and under load it is much less of an ear sore. I've always been impressed with how well Arctic's products perform especially for the price, after having used a couple different models of their fans, CPU coolers, and GPU coolers. I can definitely give this one a recommend if you're looking for something on a real pressed budget or if height restrictions don't allow for a typically recommended 120mm tower cooler like the Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400 to fit. It's not exceptionally flashy or built like a tank, but if it can perform this well on an overclocked 125W chip, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to get you some decently admirable performance and OCs on more modern Intel and Ryzen chips that sit in the 65-95W range.

"Rawr XD"

I have to agree. Arctic make great products without unnessesary features to inflate the price.

I was dumb enough to kit out my whole system with nocua fans, when especially the P-Series has great airflow, pressure and noise performance. 

Of course the noctua fans are great and all but i could have saved a lot of money by just going with p12 fans.

The Liquid Freezer II series is another great example of outperforming the competition while being less expensive. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I have to agree. Arctic make great products without unnessesary features to inflate the price.

I was dumb enough to kit out my whole system with nocua fans, when especially the P-Series has great airflow, pressure and noise performance. 

Of course the noctua fans are great and all but i could have saved a lot of money by just going with p12 fans.

The Liquid Freezer II series is another great example of outperforming the competition while being less expensive. 

Oh hey, it's Sarah 👀

(I don't actually play any of the games, just a fan of Ashly Burch haha)

But yeah, I've been very happy with F12s and P12s in the past. They're not flashy or fancy by any means but they do the job done well and are such a good value. I need some 140s for my other PC and was thinking of trying out Noctua for the first time but I'm still very tempted to just get F14s instead. 

"Rawr XD"

2 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Oh hey, it's Sarah 👀

(I don't actually play any of the games, just a fan of Ashly Burch haha)

But yeah, I've been very happy with F12s and P12s in the past. They're not flashy or fancy by any means but they do the job done well and are such a good value. I need some 140s for my other PC and was thinking of trying out Noctua for the first time but I'm still very tempted to just get F14s instead. 

IMO the noctua fans for ~25 € each in germany are just not worth the extra compared to a P14 PWM for ~7-10 €.

And thats coming from someone with only noctua fans in his system 😅

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

IMO the noctua fans for ~25 € each in germany are just not worth the extra compared to a P14 PWM for ~7-10 €.

And thats coming from someone with only noctua fans in his system 😅

Yeah, I'd need two, and where I am an F14 is $13 while a A14 PWM is $32. Ouch

"Rawr XD"