Software Solution Advice - Clone A Pc Screen On A Tv

Kotobars

Hello! I need an advice please.

My friend has a normal desktop PC, a non-smart big TV, an old laptop and a wireless keyboard+mouse set.

What we would like to do is to clone the PC's display over to a TV to watch some movies. 

Atm, the old laptop is connected via VGA and the sound goes through the external speakers. Problem with this setup is inconvenience - we have to replug wireless keyboard+mouse, upload the content over the network or a flash drive to the old laptop, and it really is very laggy (like really old) so it takes loads of time to boot and playback a video.

What i would like to do is to use that laptop as a simple "reciever" for sound and video signal from the desktop. Ideally, clone the image off a PC to that laptop and that would be all. Get keyboard + mouse to the couch and enjoy.

I was thinking of some kind of remote desktop solution, but that still requires you to re-plug the keyboard and mouse to enable remote desktop on the laptop, which is still not ideal.

Is there any tech alike intels WiDi to just clone a display over the network? 

Thanks for any input! 

Just use any DLNA client/server config. I don't know what you're running, but I think Windoze has it's own DLNA media server thing that can play shared media, and if performance or DRM are a problem, in linux there are more DLNA solutions than there are bubbles in a bottle of coke. I use a WDTVLiveHub myself, it's a small linux box with built-in HDD that does a lot of things, including acting as a multiple DLNA client or server, it has samba to access windoze boxes, it has twonky, it has the standard linux DLNA client/server stripped down and repackaged as a WD app, and WD provides free Android apps to use it with phone and tablet, plus twonky is available for just about any platform. Maybe something like that is a good solution for you, it saves time and adds a lot of functionality/convenience. If you don't want to go with extra hardware, just pull down a DLNA server package to your desktop and a DLNA client package to the laptop, and stream the media from the desktop live on the laptop. You can initiate the playback from the desktop and can obviously select the media and initiate playback also from the laptop. And linux doesn't normally do DRM, so any content will just play.

This is a good solution but not really what I needed, since it still requires all controls to be made from a laptop, so I'd need to replug my mouse and keyboard.
for now I'm just sticking to using my phone as a remote mouse using air hid from play store, and just streaming vids using vlc over network.
What I ideally wanted would be totally cloning a display image over the network, like a virtual display over lan, but I guess there is no such solution out there other than Intel widi

if u have an android smartphone, get rid of the wireless keyboard

there are apps to control PCs thru the touchpad

does us non smart tv has any kind of ethernet port?

if u have an android smartphone, get rid of the wireless keyboard

there are apps to control PCs thru the touchpad

does us non smart tv has any kind of ethernet port?

I'm just sticking to using my phone as a remote mouse using air hid from play store

As for the ethernet port, nah, its a cheap TV

Im sorry but whaaaaat? What does the vga switch have to do with anything i described in my first post? :s

i must have misunderstood ,what you were wanting,

sorry if i read it wrong. .

Cant you just connect the tv as a regular display and set somewhere in the display driver settings the tv to be a mirror of the main monitor, as opposed to extending your desktop. I remember to have seen something like that in CCC a few month ago.

You would need a fairly long cable though.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)