Running dual-monitor with onboard graphic outputs z170 + i7-6700k

Hello there,

In my studio I have 4k TV (hdmi only) as a main screen and second HDReady screen with only VGA input.
Now, I would like to avoid, if possible to have graphics card in this setup (lower noise, temps and so on). I am not planning any gaming on it.

I have z170 motherboard with i7-6700k cpu.

I have two outputs from my z170 motherboard - DisplayPort and HDMI. So I have connected HDMI->HDMI on TV. By itself it works great, nice and sharp, 60Hz running well. 
When I connect my DP->VGA adapter and VGA->VGA cable into my second screen, both shows up, but the 4k TV is a bit muddy, not that clean and sharp as it was before connecting second screen. Also, after lets say 30 seconds, it switches off for few seconds and then load back. And it repeats after another 30seconds or so. Also it runs only 29Hz.

Is it even possible to run this setup? Maybe the DP->VGA adapter is not the best idea? I would like to keep the second monitor, since its small and I use it only for Audio EQ visualisation.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Martin

GPU: Aorus RTX 2070 8G, CPU: Ryzen 5 3600, MB: Aorus B450 Pro, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence 3200MHz, Case: Silentiumpc Signum S1GX RBG, Storage: 1TB SSD nvme m.2, 2TB HDD

The DP->VGA shouldn't be an issue, I'd think.

Perhaps it's a limit to how much the iGPU can handle (for some reason)? It's also odd that it runs your TB at 4k60 on HDMI, considering that the Intel site says it can't do that: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88195/intel-core-i7-6700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

The DP->VGA shouldn't be an issue, I'd think.

Perhaps it's a limit to how much the iGPU can handle (for some reason)? It's also odd that it runs your TB at 4k60 on HDMI, considering that the Intel site says it can't do that: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88195/intel-core-i7-6700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

image.png.8e8252a492f1f374392dcd2330ed4a8c.png

Thank you for your input. Its running well and I think you must have over-looked that :)

GPU: Aorus RTX 2070 8G, CPU: Ryzen 5 3600, MB: Aorus B450 Pro, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence 3200MHz, Case: Silentiumpc Signum S1GX RBG, Storage: 1TB SSD nvme m.2, 2TB HDD

2 minutes ago, membrain said:

image.png.8e8252a492f1f374392dcd2330ed4a8c.png

Thank you for your input. Its running well and I think you must have over-looked that :)

I saw that, but the next line says something different. :P Maybe you have HDMI 2.0?

Either way, perhaps you can test running your TV at 24 Hz or at 1080p, see if that helps.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

2 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I saw that, but the next line says something different. :P Maybe you have HDMI 2.0?

Either way, perhaps you can test running your TV at 24 Hz or at 1080p, see if that helps.

Yes, but 4k is 3840 x 2160, not 4096x2304, that is Max supported resolution there.

Well, I certainly need it to run 60Hz :) 24hz is very slow and makes me want to throw up just thinking that i would have to work like that :D 
I had it running as i wanted with GTX 960 but I have sold it to my friend since I have thought I could run it this way.

3 minutes ago, membrain said:

Yes, but 4k is 3840 x 2160, not 4096x2304, that is Max supported resolution there.

Well, I certainly need it to run 60Hz :) 24hz is very slow and makes me want to throw up just thinking that i would have to work like that :D 
I had it running as i wanted with GTX 960 but I have sold it to my friend since I have thought I could run it this way.

I know. :) (strictly speaking 4096 is 4k, but that's beside the point :P)

I don't mean to do it as a final solution, I mean it as a testing measure. By doing that, we'll see if it has to do with some kind of maximum bandwidth available, or if the issue is somewhere else.

1 minute ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I know. :) (strictly speaking 4096 is 4k, but that's beside the point :P)

I don't mean to do it as a final solution, I mean it as a testing measure. By doing that, we'll see if it has to do with some kind of maximum bandwidth available, or if the issue is somewhere else.

Ok, Well, I was 100% running it 4k60hz :) I am running it now again since I had to disconnect the second screen. Okay, makes sense to test it out.
I was trying to google it out but I feel like noone ever tried this combination haha.

Thanks again, will post here results when I get home to try it.