Backing up old photos

Hello,

I have a PC with a lot of photos on it. They are important. I plan on buying an external hard drive and backing everything up.

The catch? The PC wasn't on for about a year and a half, since I built my new PC.

Also, I was young and dumb, and I am afraid it has a virus/malware on it, lurking.

How do I approach this situation? And make sure nothing malicious boards the external hard drive?

Thanks!

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

Probably do a offline clone then. SO just put the drive in anouther computer and clone over with something like ddrescue. THen mount that image and copy files from the image, and you can scan for malware then aswell.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably do a offline clone then. SO just put the drive in anouther computer and clone over with something like ddrescue. THen mount that image and copy files from the image, and you can scan for malware then aswell.

Thanks. Can you please explain more? Wouldn't the malware transfer through the drive? Mount?

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

Just now, Yifti said:

Thanks. Can you please explain more? Wouldn't the malware transfer through the drive? Mount?

So you make a clone first, so if you screw anything up, you still have the data.

Then you can scan the drive, scan on anouther os like linux if your worried so then most windows marlware won't run.

24 minutes ago, Yifti said:

Hello,

I have a PC with a lot of photos on it. They are important. I plan on buying an external hard drive and backing everything up.

The catch? The PC wasn't on for about a year and a half, since I built my new PC.

Also, I was young and dumb, and I am afraid it has a virus/malware on it, lurking.

How do I approach this situation? And make sure nothing malicious boards the external hard drive?

Thanks!

Easy way? remove old hard drive, attach to new PC. Boot to windows as normal. Old drive will be seen as a secondary drive.

Copy files as you need to new PC.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So you make a clone first, so if you screw anything up, you still have the data.

Then you can scan the drive, scan on anouther os like linux if your worried so then most windows marlware won't run.

Thanks. Is there a guide somewhere?

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Easy way? remove old hard drive, attach to new PC. Boot to windows as normal. Old drive will be seen as a secondary drive.

Copy files as you need to new PC.

Thanks.

Bepis

BEPIS

Bepis BEPIS

BEPIS Bepis

BEEEEEEEEPIS