Is my USB Thumb Drive Dead?

HairyChickens

So yesterday I was transferring files to this Kingston USB 2.0 USB then all of a sudden it automatically disconnects from the computer. I did not touch the USB or the computer. When I tried plugging in the USB again Windows displayed a message saying "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it."  I did the scan but it could't fix the USB and said something along the lines of Windows could not scan this drive.... try restarting you computer..... I restarted and tried it again and the same thing happens.

When I don't scan the USB, it is detected by my computer and all my files are visible. Its only when I try to transfer files to the USB or when I open a file that is saved on the USB that it disconnects again. 

All these issues mentioned above also happened with different computers I tried with.

HOWEVER, whenever I try plugging in this USB now, Windows struggles to even detect it. It would play the connection sound, display the drive name in File Explorer for a second and then disappear. The scan the drive now message rarely appears as well because of how fast it disconnects.

So with all of that, is my USB Thumb Drive Dead?

From what I can tell I think the files on this thumb drive are still intact because when did manage to open files briefly on my USB, eg. a video, it would play for a few seconds before stopping due to the USB disconnecting. Are my files recoverable and if so, what should I do? (I'm not particularly worried if I lose these files because the majority of it isn't that important and the files that are important are already backed up)

Thanks

6 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

So with all of that, is my USB Thumb Drive Dead?

Seems that way, yes. From the sound of it, the controller inside it is crashing and/or locking up. Nothing you can do to fix that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Seems that way, yes. From the sound of it, the controller inside it is crashing and/or locking up. Nothing you can do to fix that.

Rip, thought so. Thanks for the reply

You could try to reformat the Drive using Diskmanager.

Then you select all partitions, right click-> delete.

Then you select the not allocated space and click new volume->next, then you CAN select a drive letter-> next (select FAT32 and maybe a name) -> next.

Then you should be done and maybe it works again.

Maybe some terms are off, because my windows is german.

If you need help I can switch to english

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

1 hour ago, jonahadami said:

You could try to reformat the Drive using Diskmanager.

Then you select all partitions, right click-> delete.

Then you select the not allocated space and click new volume->next, then you CAN select a drive letter-> next (select FAT32 and maybe a name) -> next.

Then you should be done and maybe it works again.

Maybe some terms are off, because my windows is german.

If you need help I can switch to english

Wouldn't that delete everything on the USB?

24 minutes ago, HairyChickens said:

Wouldn't that delete everything on the USB?

Yeah that would delete everything. But as he said, that wouldn't be too bad.

2 hours ago, HairyChickens said:

I'm not particularly worried if I lose these files

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory