Did my GPU just die?

blu4

I have a Rx 580 thats 1 year old, I was just using my pc like normal then all of a sudden both of my monitors went to "no signal" I reset the PC and same thing. This rig is only a few days old but my GPU was used in my last rig. The fans on the GPU spin, the LEDS come on.

What I tried

- made sure it was hooked up right, took it out and re put it in, Cleaned the dust

- hooked up my old PC with no GPU and the monitors had a signal

- hooked up GPU to old pc and it had NO signal

So does this mean my GPU is dead or what could have happened? I just spent all my cash on a new rig minus the GPU so it would really hurt to need to buy a new one right now.

I really have no idea what this could be other then my GPU just died for some reason.

EDIT

- I just put my GPU into my old pc and it booted just fine for some reason. Its working right now.

- I put the GPU back into my NEW rig and it had No signal

- I took out the RAM in my new rig and tried to boot with 1 of each stick individually. It results in "no signal" both times

- I took the PSU out of my OLD rig put it in my NEW rig and hooker it up. It had a "no signal" but when in my OLD pc everything workds fine

Does this mean its the CPU or MOBO? or could the RAM still be a factor?

does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Dumb question:  if you pull the card and sniff it does it smell burnt?  No doesn’t mean anything but yes might.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

did you try all of the gpu's outputs? are you using the same psu in the old pc and new to test?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Dumb question:  if you pull the card and sniff it does it smell burnt?  No doesn’t mean anything but yes might.

It does not. It kinda smells like mouse pee tbh. In my old case when I took out the GPU I did noticed like mouse poop in the case and I did have a mouse issue last summer. But that was months ago and the card has worked flawlessly since then. It also never showed any sings of dying. Like temps have been good, it never made weird noises, It never kicked the fans up really high randomly.

Im really just dumbfounded by what happened.

If this is truely dead should I just buy like a 2070 super or something

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Just now, bmx6454 said:

did you try all of the gpu's outputs? are you using the same psu in the old pc and new to test?

The GPU was using the HDMI and Displayport, that is all I have moniters for and both do not work.

The PSU used in my old PC was a different PC from what is in my current PC.

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

The GPU was using the HDMI and Displayport, that is all I have moniters for and both do not work.

The PSU used in my old PC was a different PC from what is in my current PC.

w/o testing if the dvi works, its hard to say for sure, but it sounds dead.

4 minutes ago, blu4 said:

It does not. It kinda smells like mouse pee tbh. In my old case when I took out the GPU I did noticed like mouse poop in the case and I did have a mouse issue last summer. But that was months ago and the card has worked flawlessly since then. It also never showed any sings of dying. Like temps have been good, it never made weird noises, It never kicked the fans up really high randomly.

Im really just dumbfounded by what happened.

If this is truely dead should I just buy like a 2070 super or something

*people who think hot fiberglass smells like mouse pee fist bump*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@blu4 

I mean, if it didn't work on the old PC either, then you might as well just replace it. I would just get another RX 580. With the new generation of GPU's coming, I consider all from the previous generation to be nothing but place holders at best, just something to have until you upgrade.  

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

*people who think hot fiberglass smells like mouse pee fist bump*

no legit I can show you a pic there is mouse pee and poop in my old case. I just shook around the GPU and a few turds fell out, If they ruined it thats stupid af

3 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@blu4 

I mean, if it didn't work on the old PC either, then you might as well just replace it. I would just get another RX 580. With the new generation of GPU's coming, I consider all from the previous generation to be nothing but place holders at best, just something to have until you upgrade.  

When do they come out and would prices be the same? My PC is pretty much usless for what I use it for rn so id need a card ASAP.

Just now, blu4 said:

When do they come out and would prices be the same? My PC is pretty much usless for what I use it for rn so id need a card ASAP.

Well, we're being told later this year so I am more than willing to wait. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 minutes ago, blu4 said:

no legit I can show you a pic there is mouse pee and poop in my old case. I just shook around the GPU and a few turds fell out, If they ruined it thats stupid af

That... could :/ 

stupid af would qualify for that one.  Mice can do an astounding amount of damage.

I dont see how it could even be the mice due to it being months since we had the infestation. Id think it would have broken them if they causes it. The poo may even be from falling thought the top fan grate and on to the GPU witch is right under it.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That... could :/ 

stupid af would qualify for that one.  Mice can do an astounding amount of damage.

Maybe ill take apart the GPU and see if there is any physical damage. I have never taken one apart before either so it could be an experience. by that I mean taking the cooler off

So I just did a bunch more testing of the same things pretty much and this happend

I put my 580 into my old pc hooked up the HDMI and it worked.

I put the 580 back into my new rig and it did no signal

I took out the RAM of my new rig and tested it with 1 stick of ram and still no signal for each stick.

I put the 580 back into my old rig and turned it on and it had signal and will boot to windows.

So at this point what do you think the issue is? my CPU or my mobo? or what? what do I test to find out

580 is known good, at least hardware wise.  Working in your old machine means everything is lined up with your old system.  Could still be gpu bios, could still be bios in other areas.  Could be some other hardware. It’s movemement anyway.  If the thing went out in the middle of something as it apparently didn’t it wasn’t a bios update though. 

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

580 is known good, at least hardware wise.  Working in your old machine means everything is lined up with your old system.  Could still be gpu bios, could still be bios in other areas.  Could be some other hardware. It’s movemement anyway.  If the thing went out in the middle of something as it apparently didn’t it wasn’t a bios update though. 

I think I had warzone open and youtube when It first ever went to no signal. I was just watching a vidoe and boom it went out. warzone I was at the menu and tabbed out.

Should I try to RMA a part of my new rig? all the parts other than the GPU and drives I can RMA

maybe I should try to fund another GPU to test in my rig? but idk how id acquire one.

1 minute ago, blu4 said:

I think I had warzone open and youtube when It first ever went to no signal. I was just watching a vidoe and boom it went out. warzone I was at the menu and tabbed out.

Should I try to RMA a part of my new rig? all the parts other than the GPU and drives I can RMA

Your choice. Just because I don’t have a better solution doesn’t mean there isn’t one.  Lots of people here better at this than me.

I tried the other PCIE slot and that gave me a no signal too. Maybe ill try to RMA the mobo. but my guess is they wont even have any to replace it with the shortage. Maybe If the mobo is the issue I could look into getting a x570 so I can use PCIE 4.0 and then upgrade my GPU when the next gen cards come out

I took the PSU out of my OLD rig put it in my NEW rig and hooker it up. It had a "no signal" but when in my OLD pc everything works fine

26 minutes ago, blu4 said:

I took the PSU out of my OLD rig put it in my NEW rig and hooker it up. It had a "no signal" but when in my OLD pc everything works fine

🤔Have you replaced the ram already? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔Have you replaced the ram already? 

I do not have any other DDR4 ram to try. my old system uses DDR3. when in the slots a light shows above them in my MOBO. idk if that means anything to show they work. but idk why no ram would not a "no signal" wouldnt that just tell me to put RAM in when I try to start the system

7 minutes ago, blu4 said:

I do not have any other DDR4 ram to try. my old system uses DDR3. when in the slots a light shows above them in my MOBO. idk if that means anything to show they work. but idk why no ram would not a "no signal" wouldnt that just tell me to put RAM in when I try to start the system

Ok, but have you actually tested it using the app below? Did you try one stick at a time to see which one could be faulty?

Link: https://www.memtest86.com/

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Ok, but have you actually tested it using the app below? Did you try one stick at a time to see which one could be faulty?

Link: https://www.memtest86.com/

how can I test the ram with a program when I can't see the display at all?

My computer shows zero display. as soon as I turn on my PC monitor will immediately go to a screen that say "no signal" then they go into standby mode with a yellow light instead of the blue on light. It does that because it picks up no input from my pc

I cant see the BIOS or the screen that says fress f11 to pick boot device. I cant see that at all