Can CPU cause no power at all?

Aniallation

So I've been trying to put together a PC out of boredom from extra parts I have laying around the house and this one has really left me stumped. The only thing I didn't have was a CPU and motherboard, so my friend gave me his old FX-6300 on an MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) board. After assembling most of the PC I tried to power it on and nothing. No power, no fans spinning, nothing at all. I disconnected everything absolutely necessary and tried with just the CPU + cooler and RAM connected to the board, only 24-pin and 4-pin connected to the PSU and nothing else, still the same.

Thought power button on case might be bad, tried manually jumping the header pins, nope.

Thought PSU might have gone bad even though it was previously working, but it powers up just when the green wire is grounded. Swapped it out for another known good PSU anyways, still same thing. 

I know it can't be the single stick of RAM as even with bad RAM or no RAM at all, it should still power up just not POST.

Eventually there wasn't really anything else to narrow down so I thought it might be the board itself as I've never actually seen a CPU "go bad" and I was under the impression that even a bad or missing CPU would still result in a similar scenario as bad/no RAM, where you would at least get power but it would never POST. I went out and got another board as there just happened to be someone local selling a decently priced AM3+ mATX board, a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, which he claimed was still working and I've actually owned one in the past and was happy with. 

Still exact same result, just the bare minimum board with CPU and RAM, no signs of life at all.

Not sure what else to point a finger at at this point aside from the CPU itself, as I highly doubt I'd get two different boards with the exact same problem twice in a row, but could a bad CPU actually cause this problem? 

"Rawr XD"

Did you remove the CPU and try powering on the board?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

So I've been trying to put together a PC out of boredom from extra parts I have laying around the house and this one has really left me stumped. The only thing I didn't have was a CPU and motherboard, so my friend gave me his old FX-6300 on an MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) board. After assembling most of the PC I tried to power it on and nothing. No power, no fans spinning, nothing at all. I disconnected everything absolutely necessary and tried with just the CPU + cooler and RAM connected to the board, only 24-pin and 4-pin connected to the PSU and nothing else, still the same.

Thought power button on case might be bad, tried manually jumping the header pins, nope.

Thought PSU might have gone bad even though it was previously working, but it powers up just when the green wire is grounded. Swapped it out for another known good PSU anyways, still same thing. 

I know it can't be the single stick of RAM as even with bad RAM or no RAM at all, it should still power up just not POST.

Eventually there wasn't really anything else to narrow down so I thought it might be the board itself as I've never actually seen a CPU "go bad" and I was under the impression that even a bad or missing CPU would still result in a similar scenario as bad/no RAM, where you would at least get power but it would never POST. I went out and got another board as there just happened to be someone local selling a decently priced AM3+ mATX board, a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, which he claimed was still working and I've actually owned one in the past and was happy with. 

Still exact same result, just the bare minimum board with CPU and RAM, no signs of life at all.

Not sure what else to point a finger at at this point aside from the CPU itself, as I highly doubt I'd get two different boards with the exact same problem twice in a row, but could a bad CPU actually cause this problem? 

A bad CPU can cause no post, but if things like the CPU fan or your GPU fans aren't powering up, it's either the PSU or the MOBO.

MSI 760GM-P34

It's junk.

Both boards should give beep codes. plug in the speaker. It'll beep the error code for cpu. If you need the code list, let me know.

32 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

A bad CPU can cause no post, but if things like the CPU fan or your GPU fans aren't powering up, it's either the PSU or the MOBO.

I removed the PSU from the PC that I'm currently typing this on and tried it to no avail so it's definitely not a PSU problem. I highly suspected the mobo at first but it seems very odd that the exact same issue would occur with 2 different boards.

31 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's junk.

Both boards should give beep codes. plug in the speaker. It'll beep the error code for cpu. If you need the code list, let me know.

Wouldn't the boards have to actually power up to give beep codes though? There is no power, no signs of life at all. Fans and PSU do not power up when power button is pressed or power switch leads are jumped.

"Rawr XD"

50 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you remove the CPU and try powering on the board?

I did not, I'll give it a try.

"Rawr XD"

2 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

I removed the PSU from the PC that I'm currently typing this on and tried it to no avail so it's definitely not a PSU problem. I highly suspected the mobo at first but it seems very odd that the exact same issue would occur with 2 different boards.

It's likely a dead MOBO, then. That's all I can think of.