What do the Ryzen xxx0[letter] letters mean?

Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
Spoiler

Ryzen-Model-Number-Decoder-01.jpg

Looking for these? The Wikichip has a lot more information, the picture is Ryzen only and easier to read.

e.g.: Ryzen 7 PRO 2700X

Wikipedia's Ryzen entry seems to have no cheat-sheet on the subject, but here are the combinations found on the page:

AF =

B =

E =

G = (Seem to be for APUs only)

GE = (Seem to be for APUs only)

H =

HS =

I =

U = (Seem to be for mobile processors only)

WX =

X =

PRO =

No-letter =

My questions are, what word/concept do the letters literally stand for? What do they imply? What (type of) processors are they applied to? What do they do?

G - Has Graphics (G3200 example Ryzen with Graphics, not called Athlon, not energy savings)

GE - Has Graphics Energy saver (Ryzen AThlon)

U - Ryzen 4000 series 15-28w chips (mobile)

H- Ryzen 4000 series 35-45w chips (mobile)

Did you want all of them?? (wasn't quite sure if you wanted the complete listed explanation)

8 minutes ago, Kraus said:

AF =

Slang term associated with the 12nm refresh of the 1200 and 1600. The product code includes AF instead of AE

G = (Seem to be for APUs only)

GE = (Seem to be for APUs only)

G is for the overclockable APUs, GE is for non overclockable APUs.

H =

HS =

Mobile, high performance and high performance with power savings.

WX =

Workstation/professional. You'll notice that they got rid of this with the 3990X, so the only CPUs that have this are the 2970WX and 2990WX.

X =

This can mean quite a lot. The 3600 and 3600X, for example, are a lower and higher clocked version of basically the same CPU. Same with the 2700 and 2700X. However, the 3700 does not exist, only the 3700X, with the 3800X being the high clocked version. 

Non X versions of high end CPUs like the 3900 are OEM only, but consumer CPUs don't really have much rhyme or reason to using the X.

PRO =

OEM only.

No-letter =

Same as X.

I don't believe I've ever seen I, B, or E at the end of a Ryzen CPU, can you provide some examples?

Edit: forgot about E, which are the low power versions of their respective CPUs. Also OEM only.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Spoiler

Looking for these? The Wikichip has a lot more information, the picture is Ryzen only and easier to read.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Kraus said:

e.g.: Ryzen 7 PRO 2700X

Wikipedia's Ryzen entry seems to have no cheat-sheet on the subject, but here are the combinations found on the page:

My questions are, what word/concept do the letters literally stand for? What do they imply? What (type of) processors are they applied to? What do they do?

AF = 1st gen parts refreshed to 2nd gen silicon

B = embedded

E = Low power

G = integrated graphics

GE = integrated graphics, low power

H = high-performance laptop

HS = high-performance laptop, but moar better

I = more different embedded

U = thin & light laptop

WX = Workstation oriented, usually due to memory architecture

X = moar better

PRO = enterprise/business

No-letter = normal desktop

(my best guess, most of them I know but the embedded ones for example I don't know much)

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

They overclock fine.

https://valid.x86.fr/gr70u8

Well, overclocking is not officially supported by AMD, but we all know how OEMs, specifically, MSI, regard official support.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't believe I've ever seen I, B, or E at the end of a Ryzen CPU, can you provide some examples?

Hey, thanks! Here's where I'm seeing I and B:

image.png.e9a02401a7a3cff474c7a11348894521.png

And E is under Ryzen 2000 series...

image.png.1d16566735e50e04bbde87aef6bd5767.png

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Well, overclocking is not officially supported by AMD, but we all know how OEMs, specifically, MSI, regard official support.

what are you talking about? (really, I'm not sure)

ALL of AMD's processors are unlocked and overclockable. 

Only the A320 chipset does not feature processor core overclocking because it's not included in the bios. That is a lack of motherboard feature only.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

what are you talking about? (really, I'm not sure)

ALL of AMD's processors are unlocked and overclockable. 

Only the A320 chipset does not feature processor core overclocking because it's not included in the bios. That is a lack of motherboard feature only.

The Athlon 200GE and its siblings are not technically overclockable, according to AMD. Like I said, board partners said screw it and made the multipliers unlocked (though this actually depends strongly on BIOS version, AMD did crack down at one point) 

Some A320 motherboards can CPU overclock for the same reason.

Primary PC:

The Athlon 200GE and its siblings are not technically overclockable, according to AMD. Like I said, board partners said screw it and made the multipliers unlocked (though this actually depends strongly on BIOS version, AMD did crack down at one point) 

I overclocked it with the lowest ended motherboard on the planet made by Asus. The B450M-A lol. With a TEC no less.

I'll give the video a watch, but might need some salt with me. Lisa stated right out in the open at 1st release, All AMD Ryzen processors will be unlocked. No I don't care to try and find a video, gonna be lazy and watch your's instead.

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:
  Hide contents

Oooooh~

Aaaahh~

Okay, so... that picture brings up an interesting question... It seems that the only element not represented in this naming structure is the Zen version number... yes? (e.g.: Zen, Zen 2, Zen 3.)

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Lisa stated right out in the open at 1st release, All AMD Ryzen processors will be unlocked

The catch being that this isn't Ryzen, it's Athlon, that uses Zen architecture. The 3000G is meant (in an official capacity) to be the "Ryzen Athlon" so to speak, with official OC support.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

The catch being that this isn't Ryzen, it's Athlon, that uses Zen architecture. The 3000G is meant (in an official capacity) to be the "Ryzen Athlon" so to speak, with official OC support.

Interesting video. I've heard of the overclock not applying on X series Ryzens. Probably a few threads right here in this forum in fact.

About 1/3rd way through. 

Something with the bios. A newer bios? I think my B450-I has a pretty fresh bios on it. Should I give this a go? The 220ge is in my wifes rig, I'll have to use the 200ge. 

It's de-lidded though. (no solder) Do you think that should matter? 

Yea I see he tried on multiple makes and models of boards, all locked.

I had such the opposite experience lol. Was hitting 3600x clocks XD

6 minutes ago, Kraus said:

Okay, so... that picture brings up an interesting question... It seems that the only element not represented in this naming structure is the Zen version number... yes? (e.g.: Zen, Zen 2, Zen 3.)

This is the silliest part of the Ryzen naming scheme: It almost is. The first digit is usually the architecture version, if you count zen+ as 2 and zen 2 as 3, but then APUs & mobile are all one step forward, and the AF chips are one step backward. Because reasons.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I had such the opposite experience lol. Was hitting 3600x clocks XD

Well that's probably why they made the 3000G, practically identical to the 2xxGE family in every way but with OC abilities. When it does OC, it OCs pretty good.

Primary PC:

Well that's probably why they made the 3000G, practically identical to the 2xxGE family in every way but with OC abilities. When it does OC, it OCs pretty good.

meh about 3.9ghz stable. 4ghz so/so.

I might pop the Athlon in. See how the newer bios handles it. Now this is not the same board though. So I'm intrigued to find out.

Thanks for the insight too! 🥰

Definitely want to thank people for the feedback on this topic! .... so I shall!

Thank you!