I need some help

Kuppi

About a year ago my mom got a pc that i use for gaming and she uses for work. Now it has gotten pretty annoying that every other second someone barges into the room to get something or do somethimg on the pc while i'm in the middle of a competitive match. The previous pc had an amd athlon x4 645 with integrated graphics and 2 x 2GB sticks of ddr3. If i slapped an ssd in there how well would it perform? It basically just needs to boot up fast and run firefox and chrome well. My mom is familiar with windows 10 so that would be the preferred OS. I'm just asking if i need to get more ram or something and if it can run win10 well enough.

1 minute ago, Kuppi said:

About a year ago my mom got a pc that i use for gaming and she uses for work. Now it has gotten pretty annoying that every other second someone barges into the room to get something or do somethimg on the pc while i'm in the middle of a competitive match. The previous pc had an amd athlon x4 645 with integrated graphics and 2 x 2GB sticks of ddr3. If i slapped an ssd in there how well would it perform? It basically just needs to boot up fast and run firefox and chrome well. My mom is familiar with windows 10 so that would be the preferred OS. I'm just asking if i need to get more ram or something and if it can run win10 well enough.

The cheapest and best possible upgrade to an older system to make it boot faster and load programs faster would indeed be an SSD. When it comes to memory, I would check the model of the motherboard and see what the max memory capacity and max memory speed would be. Most games today can have a system requirement on memory anywhere from 4GB to 12GB on more graphics intensive titles. You may see a small performance improvement by maxing out the memory speed and capacity, so long as the memory controller will support what you are installing. So bottom line, SSD will definitely help, and memory would be considered above and beyond, but still helpful to your situation.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

If you can toss another 2x2GB of RAM in there along with the SSD I think you'd be more than golden for the most part for the tasks your mom needs it for.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I think a small RAM upgrade and an SSD should make it a perfectly capable web browsing machine. Browsers are infamously ram hungry and DDR3 can be had pretty cheap nowadays so I think it would be prudent to buy some more (or download, cheaper that way)

1 minute ago, Derpanieux said:

I think a small RAM upgrade and an SSD should make it a perfectly capable web browsing machine. Browsers are infamously ram hungry and DDR3 can be had pretty cheap nowadays so I think it would be prudent to buy some more (or download, cheaper that way)

Ok thanks

10 hours ago, Lurick said:

If you can toss another 2x2GB of RAM in there along with the SSD I think you'd be more than golden for the most part for the tasks your mom needs it for.

What kind of an ssd would be enough? The current system has a samsung 970 evo 250GB mvme m.2 ssd. Can you recommend anything?

1 hour ago, Kuppi said:

What kind of an ssd would be enough? The current system has a samsung 970 evo 250GB mvme m.2 ssd. Can you recommend anything?

If you really need it, crucial has one of their sata ssds that is about 120 USD for 1tb of storage. Assuming average speeds, it's about 3 times as fast as a standard WD blue 1tb on terms of average read speeds. Obviously, price scales down the less storage amount you choose.