I have an EVGA W1 PSU, which is in the D tier. Why is it potentially dangerous?

MrZoraman

According to the list my PSU is dangerous but only in specific situations. Why is this PSU considered "not good"? I looked around the forums a little bit, but didn't find much other than the PSU is "not good."

Well it really depends on context and what you're running with it.

It's considered "not good" from the perspective of things you should be buying or have the choice to. In the bigger picture, there's far worse PSUs out there that have been working perfectly fine for over a decade or more and still going, but they don't really have to power much.

"Rawr XD"

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Group regulated, bad ripple, sleeve bearing fan.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/06/23/evga-500w-w1-power-supply/

That was the most obnoxious review I've ever read. It looks like it should be fine though, the reviewer generally liked it.

3 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Well it really depends on context and what you're running with it.

It's considered "not good" from the perspective of things you should be buying or have the choice to. In the bigger picture, there's far worse PSUs out there that have been working perfectly fine for over a decade or more and still going, but they don't really have to power much.

I have it plugged into an old i5 2400 system. I don't think there's even a graphics card on the system so it's not consuming much power.

7 minutes ago, MrZoraman said:

That was the most obnoxious review I've ever read. It looks like it should be fine though, the reviewer generally liked it.

I have it plugged into an old i5 2400 system. I don't think there's even a graphics card on the system so it's not consuming much power.

Oh, yeah, definitely nothing wrong with that. My old i5-2400 system that had a 5450 and then a 1050 non-Ti is still going perfect in the other room after 7 or 8 years now on the factory FSP 240W (HP SFF prebuilt), and the EVGA is definitely a lot better than that. 

The context of it being "bad" for a build is more like, you CAN run a Ryzen 9 and a 2080 off of it as total system power draw will still only sit around 360-400W under load, but that doesn't mean you should. While a high-end 500W, even though is rated for the same power, will reliably handle it all day long.

"Rawr XD"

There are plenty of power supplies that are poorer quality than the lower end EVGA  models. Dangerous, not really, but wouldn't recommend unless not much was available.

9 hours ago, MrZoraman said:

Eh, bit of a different vibe, but just having fun with it.

Really knows his stuff with PSUs so I see it more as brutal honesty.

You could do a lot worse but with any sort of sorting, list or tiers you can't get it perfect and it's more a general idea. There are even different variants from the same manufacturer within the same tier that are better quality, efficiency, quieter, longer warranty and so on.

Overall though it doesn't deserve a tier any higher so that's where it lives.