High CPU Temp Out Of Nowhere.

I have my CPU cooler's light set to go red when temps hit above 85C. I noticed it was red as I had Terraria going. I checked the CPU temps with CPUID Hardware Monitor and the package temp was in the high 90s. I've been observing the temps in different games and it's hitting 100C 馃槯 I've checked all the fans are still working and the air coming from the exhaust fan doesn't feel hot at all. When alt-tabbed on a game the package temp returns to ~70C, then back to 100C as soon as I tab back in. Does thermal paste ever need replacing? If so could that be the issue?

What's going on here?

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

You should replace thermal paste ideally every couple years but it won鈥檛 cause as drastic an impact as you are seeing. What CPU and cooler do you use? Is the CPU OC?

1 minute ago, M A J O R said:

I have my CPU cooler's light set to go red when temps hit above 85C. I noticed it was red as I had Terraria going. I checked the CPU temps with CPUID Hardware Monitor and the package temp was in the high 90s. I've been observing the temps in different games and it's hitting 100C 馃槯 I've checked all the fans are still working and the air coming from the exhaust fan doesn't feel hot at all. When alt-tabbed on a game the package temp returns to ~70C, then back to 100C as soon as I tab back in. Does thermal paste ever need replacing? If so could that be the issue?

What's going on here?

Probably just try reseating the cooler as a first step. Replacing the paste while you do so wouldn't hurt.聽

8 minutes ago, M A J O R said:

What's going on here?

What's your CPU load/utilization? Your title seems to indicate the CPU temp is spiking suddenly, but your focus seems to be on the cooling, but if your CPU is being significantly taxed it could be causing issues. Not to say that cooling isn't the issue, but it's odd to hear something change so drastically (assuming nothing in your cooling config changed).聽

I hope to be wrong about this, but sudden temperature changes like this can be indications of cyptojacking or other malicious programs. That's why I ask about the CPU utilization. Like others mentioned above, thermal paste does need maintenance every so often, but usually doesn't lead to drastic temp changes.聽

One final thought as well. Your signature shows you're using a Corsair H100i AIO, it is possible the pump stopped functioning? Check to see if the radiator is getting hot (don't injure yourself, use a laser thermometer if you have one), or go into the BIOS/UEFI setup screen and monitor temps there; do you observe high temps here?聽

UPDATE: I've re-mounted the CPU cooler & replaced the thermal paste as directed.

My Idle temps are ~50C, but again as soon as I boot a game, it instantly jumps to 100C. Radiator is cold to touch, I don't know how long under load it takes to warm up though.

One of the AIO tubes (assuming that it's pumping out) is warm to touch, the other (assuming that it's pumping back in) is cool to touch. Going to check idle temps in the BIOS, but as you say @burh4n it could be the pump has stopped working. If so, is that fixable or would I have to get it replaced/buy a new one (If I can't find the warranty card after moving several times xD).

Will update again with BIOS temps.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Bios shows 60-70C, iirc idle temps were around the mid 40s when I built it. My friend says that he had a faulty cooler that showed the same signs (one hot pipe, one cold) and the water wasn't being cycled properly. All signs are point to the cooler/pump, going to order a new one as I'm pretty sure the system is over 5yrs old at this point and probably not worth the hassle of checking & returning.

Thanks for all your help guys, will post an update once the replacement arrives if I'm still experiencing problems.

5 hours ago, M A J O R said:

If so, is that fixable or would I have to get it replaced/buy a new one

Personally I'm not sure, but it's certainly worth looking into if you like those kinds of projects. Otherwise a replacement would make sense. Even if you can't find the warranty card, it's worth checking out Corsair's warranty policy. It looks like the Hydro series coolers have a 5 year warranty and you just need:

To exercise your warranty rights, you need the original sales receipt and a picture of the product serial number.

Hopefully your within your 5 years still so you can get an RMA. Good luck!

Replaced the cooler, now seeing 27C idle temps :)

Unfortuately I'm now I'm getting SSD failure warning and I can't boot to Windows - YAY...

Going to start a new thread about this issue but feel free to chime in here if you're reading this and have some ideas.

Essentially:

"SMART detected HHD/SSD failure 2: Corsair Neutron XT SSD

WARNING! Please back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.

WARNING! Your HDD/SSD might crash at any moment.

Press F1 to Run SETUP."

I can't get past the BIOS, the PC just restarts and shows the same error.