Does Size matter?

Say you have a 2 motherboards both the same except one is m-atx and a one is full atx, would they both have the same features just different size boards?

The full ATX one would have more PCIe slots at a minimum, it might have other features too. 

well in your theoretical example both would be the same... but usually there is a reason why motherboards differ in size and that's because they have added functionality... 

Also a bigger mobo since its a bigger surface has better thermals (although active and passive cooling onboard playes a more important role for the actual thermal performance of the mobo)

No not necessarily. The full ATX motherboard would probably have more slots, and more headers. It might also have a higher quality VRM too. More space on the board, so more components can be put on it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, The_russian said:

The full ATX one would have more PCIe slots at a minimum, it might have other features too. 

okay let me resay what i meant derp lol. If you all you need is one PCIe slot 2 slots for ram, 1 sata for a HD and one nvme ssd slot would the size matter then?

bc thats the only reason why i chosen to get a full atx board instead of a mid size atx bc i probably not gonna use more than 1 PCIe slot 2 slots for ram, 1 sata for a HD and one nvme ssd slot.

1 minute ago, Goku1814 said:

okay let me resay what i meant derp lol. If you all you need is one PCIe slot 2 slots for ram, 1 sata for a HD and one nvme ssd slot would the size matter then?

You might only need that right now, the ATX one will probably have more headers and slots so it will allow you to expand or upgrade in the future. 

It is case sensitive. 😄

You can't say ATX will always have more features than mATX, for example B450 Mortar max has two m.2 slots, while tomahawk max has only 1. A second m.2 is arguably more important than another PCIe slot.

1 minute ago, Goku1814 said:

again size (besides the small thermal advantage) is not a metric to compare boards

usually full atx boards have better VRM for example but there are some smaller boards that have better VRMs than some other cheaper but bigger boards...

Its all about specs... compare the specs not the size unless its importand in order to fit it in your existing case 

to make it easier then, whats a great budget mobo that will support a Ryzen 5 3600X right out of the box?

8 minutes ago, lafrente said:

It is case sensitive. 😄

You can't say ATX will always have more features than mATX, for example B450 Mortar max has two m.2 slots, while tomahawk max has only 1. A second m.2 is arguably more important than another PCIe slot.

It's also dependent on the price point. It's more accurate to say that full ATX motherboards have the _potential_ to have more and better features, but you can certainly cram things onto an mATX motherboard. You'd eventually run into limitations though. PCIe slots is definitely one of them. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

100 to 200 but a lil more if need be so wont constantly be out of stock