What needs upgrade?

So I have some basic knowledge about computers, but wanted to get your opinions on what I should upgrade in my pc:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

Storage: 250GB HDD & 500GB SSD

RAM: 8GB DDR3

I'm thinking of switching out my motherboard and going the AMD Ryzen route. 

What do you feel your system is lacking? CPU power? Storage? GPU power?

I'd say either go with a full Ryzen overhaul (basically new system, except maybe you can reuse your case, PSU, storage, and some cooling bits as well as maybe your GPU if it is still enough for you), or buy a used i7, 8GB more of RAM, and some more storage.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, Gus13337 said:

So I have some basic knowledge about computers, but wanted to get your opinions on what I should upgrade in my pc:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

Storage: 250GB HDD & 500GB SSD

RAM: 8GB DDR3

I'm thinking of switching out my motherboard and going the AMD Ryzen route. 

It seems fairly balanced, but the balance level is low.  If you’re looking at a move to ryzen (Not a bad idea) that means a cpu/mobo/memory swap so a lot of changes.  When you do that I strongly suggest more memory.  Putting more memory on the current board doesn’t make a lot of sense if you’re just going to upgrade out of it.  One thing that seems pretty clear is that 4/4 is not going to cut it.  I personally suspect 6/6 and 4/8 are going to have very similar problems.  I was more sure of that before covid though.   With a world wide recession it’s possible game developers might scale back requirements a bit.

If you want to do something now the weirdest bit is the HD smaller than the SSD.  The HHD seems vestigial. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It seems fairly balanced, but the balance level is low.  If you’re looking at a move to ryzen (Not a bad idea) that means a cpu/mobo/memory swap so a lot of changes.  When you do that I strongly suggest more memory.  Putting more memory on the current board doesn’t make a lot of sense if you’re just going to upgrade out of it.  One thing that seems pretty clear is that 4/4 is not going to cut it.  I personally suspect 6/6 and 4/8 are going to have very similar problems.  I was more sure of that before covid though.   With a world wide recession it’s possible game developers might scale back requirements a bit.

If you want to do something now the weirdest bit is the HD smaller than the SSD.  The HHD seems vestigial. 

Yeah I know the HDD is small lol. The pc is a prebuilt from like 5 years ago, and they apparently decided 250HDD was enough 

Ew.  A prebuilt.  Those tend to have hidden weirdnesses.  Those things are best not touched.  Attempting to mod them tends to cause weird problems.  In particular they tend to have very carefully balanced PSUs, weird cabling, and other stuff.  A replacement motherboard in the thing may not even be possible. 

If that was my main rig I would hang on till the Christmas sales, save up cash, pull the ssd, sell the whole thing for whatever I could get and build a whole new whitebox rig.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.