Extracting MX230 BIOS

4b33r

I want to undervolt my laptops GPU to stop it from throttling. I have seen videos claiming a substantial FPS increase from undervolting laptop GPUs. 

To do this I need to extract my Vbios, GPU-Z doesn't let me do this. Some theorize this is because my VBIOS is merged or imbeded in my BIOS.

I tried a method from a russian forum using Intel Flash Programming tool to dump my entire BIOS and then extract my VBIOS from that, but that isn't working either, the tool is refusing to work on my system.

Is there a way I can either extract my VBIOS or find one for MX230 that I can edit? 

37 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

I want to undervolt my laptops GPU to stop it from throttling. I have seen videos claiming a substantial FPS increase from undervolting laptop GPUs. 

To do this I need to extract my Vbios, GPU-Z doesn't let me do this. Some theorize this is because my VBIOS is merged or imbeded in my BIOS.

I tried a method from a russian forum using Intel Flash Programming tool to dump my entire BIOS and then extract my VBIOS from that, but that isn't working either, the tool is refusing to work on my system.

Is there a way I can either extract my VBIOS or find one for MX230 that I can edit? 

Before trying to undervolt your gpu

Try dusting your laptop off and cleaning it fully and make sure it is not full of dust 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Before trying to undervolt your gpu

Try dusting your laptop off and cleaning it fully and make sure it is not full of dust 

I just bought it

1 minute ago, 4b33r said:

I just bought it

Oh well if you need to flash it with new bios that lets you under volt

You need the GPU to have similar model in chipset so like (tu104 or gp117 etc) 

I never heard of a chipset that Is similar to the mx line up so I'm not sure 

Either way what are your temps because laptops do get hotter than desktops (obviously ) so maybe you think your getting really hot temps but it could be normal 

What are your temps ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Oh well if you need to flash it with new bios that lets you under volt

You need the GPU to have similar model in chipset so like (tu104 or gp117 etc) 

I never heard of a chipset that Is similar to the mx line up so I'm not sure 

Either way what are your temps because laptops do get hotter than desktops (obviously ) so maybe you think your getting really hot temps but it could be normal 

What are your temps ?

The chipset is GP108 is there any way to obtain a BIOS for that?

As I mentioned the GPU is currently throttling, max temp is 96c just a few mins into unigine heaven.

44 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

The chipset is GP108 is there any way to obtain a BIOS for that?

As I mentioned the GPU is currently throttling, max temp is 96c just a few mins into unigine heaven.

dont stress test 

play normal games then check temps 

what is your ambient temps ? 

Build Log: 

19 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

dont stress test 

play normal games then check temps 

what is your ambient temps ? 

If the GPU is reaching 96c and throttling just minutes into unigine I can assure you it will throttle while gaming as well. 

Can I use any GP108 VBIOS given that I adjust the voltage and clocks?

2 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

If the GPU is reaching 96c and throttling just minutes into unigine I can assure you it will throttle while gaming as well. 

Can I use any GP108 VBIOS given that I adjust the voltage and clocks?

first of all 

you cant assure me that it will throttle 

and i cant assure that it will not 

testing wont hurt

Build Log: