Lenovo yoga s740 thermal issue

I have Lenovo yoga s740 which is around 2 months old. I have issue with its thermal performance. It is running a bit warmer so I want to bump up the cooling fans but I am unable to do so. I have looked into bios, also tried software such as Lenovo vantage, speed fan ,notebook fan control without any success.

Please let me know how can I adjust the fan speed manually 

I don't know about manual fan speed control, but it might be a bit easier to replace the factory thermal paste. You can get thermal paste really cheap on Amazon, and if you can use a screwdriver that might be the way to go. Modifying fan speed on laptops can be a bit tricky.

20 hours ago, Abhijeet Singh said:

so I want to bump up the cooling fans but I am unable to do so

In many laptops you can't adjust the fan speed, 3rd party fan control won't work most of the time either.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 5/18/2020 at 3:08 PM, Abhijeet Singh said:

I have Lenovo yoga s740 which is around 2 months old. I have issue with its thermal performance. It is running a bit warmer so I want to bump up the cooling fans but I am unable to do so. I have looked into bios, also tried software such as Lenovo vantage, speed fan ,notebook fan control without any success.

Please let me know how can I adjust the fan speed manually 

Most Lenovo laptops come with lenovo vantage preinstalled and use "intelligent cooling". Intelligent Cooling adjusts fan speed, maximum performance, and manages your battery life. This feature has 3 modes (Quiet mode, Balanced mode and Performance mode) and is accessible by the Windows performance power slider.

This feature is not exactly very well built into Windows from my experience but you will have to do with it. The controllers for the fans are not controllable and controlled by embaded controllers(if im not wrong, but i am not sure), so there is no software that you can use to control the fan speed.

There are two things that you can do that works to solve your problem(in my experience).

1) Undervolt. Undervolting is a relatively simple process and there are many youtube videos on how to do it. You can refer to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DX1UJa65JM.

2) Prop your laptop up with a stand(or any that can). Your laptop fan takes in air from vents on the bottom side of your laptop. Proping it up can increase air flow and in my experience, does improve cooling by 2-5 degrees celsius. If you don't have a stand, you can prop it up with eg: an eraser. Just make sure that the vents are not covered and is lifted up from the table.

I dont have much advice about cooling pads, repasting thermal paste, etc as i dont have experience with that but generally those are last resorts/

I hope this helps! :)

Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity!